Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Java_Az
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Any guidence?? Could this be a buildc 1517 issue??

Are you running the latest version of the server? Might be the problem.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"Java_Az" wrote:

Yes installed about a week ago......And as noted these same videos wew playing fine a week ago

Not sure it's roku build related but it used to work and I am running a bleeding edge build on the roku 1517
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"dellsweig" wrote:
"Java_Az" wrote:

Yes installed about a week ago......And as noted these same videos wew playing fine a week ago

Not sure it's roku build related but it used to work and I am running a bleeding edge build on the roku 1517

I'm not having any video problems on my end. I've got 2.9 b1517 and I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest server.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

by el.wubo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6 wrote:

"The latest release is the one you get when you go through the private channel installation process. The instructions for adding the private channel are at the very top of this forum. Once you start the private channel for the first time it will provide a link to download the latest version. Once you're up and running with that your Roku will prompt you automatically whenever new versions are released. (You'll get here by following the instructions above but just so you have a preview--here's what you'll be doing after you start the private channel for the first time."

Just joined the forum today. I've managed to get the app running and it was fairly straight forward. Originally I installed via the developer mode, but have since gone the appspot means. I no longer see any files when I browser into my roku so I assume that's OK. My question now, after reading that the app (channel) itself will auto update is how and when would I update the server side? I'm also assuming that I would no longer install client with Springboard, or is that not true?
One other frustration I had was identifying versions of each of the zipped files. I'd find a link on one page and it would be for a zip file of about 6 mb, then another page would have a link to another file, about 15 mb, both having extremeavocado in the title.
Thanks in advance and thanks also for making this possible.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"el.wubo" wrote:
Early Development Preview

If you've been itching to install a new version here's an early preview of what we've been working on.

What to expect:
* BUGS! (report them)
* Theming isn't finished yet (umbighouse is on it!)
* Photo browsing and slideshow (thanks renojim)
* Audio pausing (thanks renojim)
* Fixed bugs related to Home button (thanks renojim)
* Better feedback while the channel is loading data from the server (thanks renojim)
* MP3's with embedded album art will now display the art
* Server-side image thumbnails, leading to faster channel browsing (see below)

Installation:
* Stop your current server (verify by pressing alt+ctrl+delete and stopping python in the processes tab)
* Download and install the Python Imaging Library (PIL, see below) for windows or linux and mac.
* Download and extract the new zip to a new location
* Copy your config.ini file from old_installation/server/config.ini to new_installation/server/config.ini to maintain your current settings
* Start springboard, configure your image folder, click install client
* Start the server

Python Imaging Library
In order to make personal image browsing a reality we must be able to resize images of many formats on demand. I've added the Python Imaging Library (PIL) as a requirement because it enables the server to load and manipulate most popular image formats. The channel will still work without PIL but it will pass the Roku full sized images (not thumbnails) and you can expect slow performance from your photo collection.

Known Bugs:
* My Photos uses My Videos icon and theming not correct on My Photos page
* Horrible photo browsing performance if PIL is not installed (not really a bug, but something you should be aware of)
* Slightly worse load times for big music collections (expect this to improve soon)

Let the bug reports begin.

Note: This isn't release quality yet. It's for the brave and industrious... those willing to troubleshoot through quite a few bugs and issues.

EDIT: Fixed renojim's nick (called him rokujim... oops)
EDIT: Formatting, known bugs, installation procedure
EDIT: Fixed PIL non-windows link
EDIT: More features from renojim, pil instructions for mac and linux

OK, I saw this and thought I had the latest version (as I mentioned in my earlier posting about file naming conventions and version number), but I cannot get album art UNLESS I place a .jpg into the folder with the mp3s (which have cover art embedded). I can tell you that doing that was no small task, along with another jpg into each artist folder. How can I tell the installed version?
Dave
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"dgrace" wrote:
Just joined the forum today. I've managed to get the app running and it was fairly straight forward. Originally I installed via the developer mode, but have since gone the appspot means. I no longer see any files when I browser into my roku so I assume that's OK. My question now, after reading that the app (channel) itself will auto update is how and when would I update the server side? I'm also assuming that I would no longer install client with Springboard, or is that not true?

If you're using the private channel, you do not need to install the client with Springboard. The channel on the Roku will be automatically updated just like any other channel. The server is a different story and is a big part of why it's taken so long to make this a private channel. We'll probably announce updates here and the server update will have to be downloaded.

"dgrace" wrote:
One other frustration I had was identifying versions of each of the zipped files. I'd find a link on one page and it would be for a zip file of about 6 mb, then another page would have a link to another file, about 15 mb, both having extremeavocado in the title.

I feel your frustration. I'm not sure why there are multiple ExtremeAvocado versions and I don't understand why git seems to assign one set of random characters to the zip/tarball and another set to the internal directory structure. I wouldn't trust that "Early Development Preview" link; I think it's pretty out of date and in fact the server won't work with the latest Roku firmware. The updates get rolled into github by el.wubo. He'd have to tell you what all the branches are, but I believe the "channel" branch holds the latest updates for the private channel version. I seriously need to sit down and learn git inside and out, but so far it's taken up far more of my time than it's saved.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"dgrace" wrote:
OK, I saw this and thought I had the latest version (as I mentioned in my earlier posting about file naming conventions and version number), but I cannot get album art UNLESS I place a .jpg into the folder with the mp3s (which have cover art embedded). I can tell you that doing that was no small task, along with another jpg into each artist folder. How can I tell the installed version?
Dave

As I said, that's not the latest version. We really need to add client and server version numbers that can be displayed on the Roku. I don't know if el.wubo is updating the version and build number when he uploads a new client to Roku, but you can see the version numbers of all your installed channels with the following remote sequence: Home 3 times, Up 2 times, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left. Of course, that doesn't help with the server version.

Embedded cover art is definitely supported, so go back to the latest private channel and see if it works. If you have a top level artist folder that contains nothing but album folders, you will have to add a jpeg if you want an image to show up on the artist's folder.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
I'm not having any video problems on my end. I've got 2.9 b1517 and I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest server.

I'm not seeing any problems either with 2.9 b1517. Anyone else?

-JT

0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
"dgrace" wrote:
Dave

Embedded cover art is definitely supported, so go back to the latest private channel and see if it works. If you have a top level artist folder that contains nothing but album folders, you will have to add a jpeg if you want an image to show up on the artist's folder.

-JT

So, any hint as to where I could get the "latest" and give it a try? What I have now is the (larger) of the extremeavocado zip files, whatever version that is.
FZ
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"dgrace" wrote:

So, any hint as to where I could get the "latest" and give it a try? What I have now is the (larger) of the extremeavocado zip files, whatever version that is.

The latest version should be available on the channel walkthrough page (#2).
0 Kudos