Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dellsweig
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

"dellsweig" wrote:

Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??

I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

"dellsweig" wrote:

Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??

See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.

I can launch the web page from my iPhone and navigate down to an individual album. Nothing plays when I select an album.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

"dellsweig" wrote:

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??

"dellsweig" wrote:

Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??

See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.

I have some more info on the rotation issue when playing .mov format (iphone video).

The iphone can be held either veritally or horizontally when shooting video.

If I shoot a video with the phone help horizontally, MyMedia plays it correctly.
If I shoot a video with the phone held vertically, MyMedia roates the image 90 degrees to fit the screen aspect ratio.

I can use a tool like mpeg_streamclip to save the file as an mp4 format file - and NOT fix the orientation - it then plays correctly in MyMedia

Is this a bug in the way MyMedia handles .mov files??
0 Kudos
MacAttack103
Visitor

I can say once again truthfully that this is the most difficult program I have ever tried to set up. The set up directions are incomplete and very vague. The directions should be more concise and a lot more detailed steps need to be added. Hunting through a couple hundred hit or miss suggestions just don't cut it. Roku should put out some very easy and concise directions including all the complete steps. All I find is a four step proccess that is very vague and incomplete. My suggestions to anyone trying to set up the MyChannel on the Roku player would be, DON'T. Get yourself a good Video/TV card and install it in your computer and go that way. This is the best method until Roku decides to put out a very complete and concise set of directions for using there product. It would appear to me that Roku is not the best and most friendly company to give complete instrutions for there product. They are solely lacking in customer support. They expect there clients, you and I to solve all there problems. The Roku player is a great little plug and go box, along as nothing hard or complicated comes along. Then watch out. They (ROKU) need to put out a complete set, probably 25 to 30 easy to use steps and concise directions for setting up this MyMedia channel. I have had and been using and setting up programs on a computer for (11) years. If I can not get it to work correctly think about the (2) year computer operator.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

"MacAttack103" wrote:
I can say once again truthfully that this is the most difficult program I have ever tried to set up. The set up directions are incomplete and very vague. The directions should be more concise and a lot more detailed steps need to be added. Hunting through a couple hundred hit or miss suggestions just don't cut it. Roku should put out some very easy and concise directions including all the complete steps. All I find is a four step proccess that is very vague and incomplete. My suggestions to anyone trying to set up the MyChannel on the Roku player would be, DON'T. Get yourself a good Video/TV card and install it in your computer and go that way. This is the best method until Roku decides to put out a very complete and concise set of directions for using there product. It would appear to me that Roku is not the best and most friendly company to give complete instrutions for there product. They are solely lacking in customer support. They expect there clients, you and I to solve all there problems. The Roku player is a great little plug and go box, along as nothing hard or complicated comes along. Then watch out. They (ROKU) need to put out a complete set, probably 25 to 30 easy to use steps and concise directions for setting up this MyMedia channel. I have had and been using and setting up programs on a computer for (11) years. If I can not get it to work correctly think about the (2) year computer operator.

Just to clarify -- MyMedia is not a Roku developed channel. It's a private channel developed using the available SDK.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
Peter321
Visitor

I'm running kubuntu. Everything installed fine but I get Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own.
When I type http://localhost:8001/feed it works fine. When I goto another computer I can't connect to the server.
Yet all my computers can see each other.
Can some one point me in the right direction
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"Peter321" wrote:
I'm running kubuntu. Everything installed fine but I get Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own.
When I type http://localhost:8001/feed it works fine. When I goto another computer I can't connect to the server.
Yet all my computers can see each other.
Can some one point me in the right direction

What URL are you typing on the other computer? If you are using your servers ip address it should work. If you use Localhost or 127 it won't work

For example
Http 192.168.1.xxx:8001 will work (xxx is server ip)
Http Localhost:8001 will only work on the server (Localhost)
0 Kudos
Peter321
Visitor

dellsweig

As soon as I read your post I knew what I did wrong!
Everything works now, Thank you

Peter
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:

Great! glad to hear it!

"dellsweig" wrote:

"dellsweig" wrote:

Anyone want to chime in on .mov format??

I have some more info on the rotation issue when playing .mov format (iphone video).

The iphone can be held either veritally or horizontally when shooting video.

If I shoot a video with the phone help horizontally, MyMedia plays it correctly.
If I shoot a video with the phone held vertically, MyMedia roates the image 90 degrees to fit the screen aspect ratio.

I can use a tool like mpeg_streamclip to save the file as an mp4 format file - and NOT fix the orientation - it then plays correctly in MyMedia

Is this a bug in the way MyMedia handles .mov files??
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There isn't much going on when the file is passed to the video player component. I don't believe there's anyway to tell it to rotate a video and I don't believe there's anything in the video that would indicate that it was rotated. Are you sure MPEG Streamclip isn't rotating the video for you? Have you played it back on a computer to verify that it's still rotated? I'd be interested to see a video that plays back in one orientation on a computer but a different one on the Roku.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
There isn't much going on when the file is passed to the video player component. I don't believe there's anyway to tell it to rotate a video and I don't believe there's anything in the video that would indicate that it was rotated. Are you sure MPEG Streamclip isn't rotating the video for you? Have you played it back on a computer to verify that it's still rotated? I'd be interested to see a video that plays back in one orientation on a computer but a different one on the Roku.

-JT

I am sure because the orientation when the Mp4 is is played is portrait (or whatever you call it in video land).

When I play the mov file it is rotated in landscape.

When I converted the file from mov to mp4 I kept the orientation.

Its almost like the mov file rotates to fit the disply.

Also when I play the mov in quicktime - it is oriented normally (portrait)

PM me your email and I will send you a .mov that plays fine on computer but rotated on MyMedia
0 Kudos