Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I've never tried (I don't use windows.) Anyone else?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
I've never tried (I don't use windows.) Anyone else?



I was able to get mymedia runnig as a windows service.

It is a bit convoluted as services cannot normally run interpreter based programs (bat, perl, python, etc)

You need to download a launcher called srvany.exe from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Once this is done you would create the MyMedia service as follows

1) open a DOS command window as administrator

2) install the srvany.exe program somewhere - I installed it in C:\systools

3) from the DOS prompt

CSmiley Embarassedsc create MyMedia binPath= "C:\systools\srvany.exe" start= auto DisplayName= "MyMedia"

4) start regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MyMedia

5) Right Click on MyMedia in the nav panel and add new key. Name the key "Parameters"

6) open Parameters and right click - add new string value called "Application" and put the value of the full path to the mymedia.bat file. Note - when you install mymedia - dont use the default name when you extract it - that name changes with every release - use something like c:\MyMedia

7) edit the mymedia.bat file in the mymedia install directory to include full paths - here is what mine looks like now

rem Contributed by umbighouse
rem copyright 2010

cd c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server
c:\python26\python.exe c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server\mymedia.py

8-) now start the service - run -> services.msc - start the MyMedia service.

If all goes well - you should be able to run the config web page http://127.0.0.1:8001
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
I've never tried (I don't use windows.) Anyone else?



I was able to get mymedia runnig as a windows service.

It is a bit convoluted as services cannot normally run interpreter based programs (bat, perl, python, etc)

You need to download a launcher called srvany.exe from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Once this is done you would create the MyMedia service as follows

1) open a DOS command window as administrator

2) install the srvany.exe program somewhere - I installed it in C:\systools

3) from the DOS prompt

CSmiley Embarassedsc create MyMedia binPath= "C:\systools\srvany.exe" start= auto DisplayName= "MyMedia"

4) start regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MyMedia

5) Right Click on MyMedia in the nav panel and add new key. Name the key "Parameters"

6) open Parameters and right click - add new string value called "Application" and put the value of the full path to the mymedia.bat file. Note - when you install mymedia - dont use the default name when you extract it - that name changes with every release - use something like c:\MyMedia

7) edit the mymedia.bat file in the mymedia install directory to include full paths - here is what mine looks like now

rem Contributed by umbighouse
rem copyright 2010

cd c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server
c:\python26\python.exe c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server\mymedia.py

8-) now start the service - run -> services.msc - start the MyMedia service.

If all goes well - you should be able to run the config web page http://127.0.0.1:8001


Finished the registration process when I got home - WORKS great!!!!!!

Why didnt you submit this one for the channel contest???
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

New issue.....

I have two Roku boxes.

When I registered the first - I added the code to the regid line in the config.ini file on my server. This worked fine.

Now I want to run mymedia app on the second Roku box - when launched it gives a new code... Can I add a second regid line to the config or a second code to the existing config entry?

Is it even possible to use two Roku boxes with the app??

Thanks
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dellsweig" wrote:
New issue.....

I have two Roku boxes.

When I registered the first - I added the code to the regid line in the config.ini file on my server. This worked fine.

Now I want to run mymedia app on the second Roku box - when launched it gives a new code... Can I add a second regid line to the config or a second code to the existing config entry?

Is it even possible to use two Roku boxes with the app??

Thanks


I had the same issue this weekend. I entered the code of my 2nd (new) box, got that one working, but the 1st (older) roku stopped working...

A reboot of the older roku, a bit of a wait and everything works great now.

Can't say if it was the wait or the reboot that did the magic.

Hope that helps

Dave
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"cdndave" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
New issue.....

I have two Roku boxes.

When I registered the first - I added the code to the regid line in the config.ini file on my server. This worked fine.

Now I want to run mymedia app on the second Roku box - when launched it gives a new code... Can I add a second regid line to the config or a second code to the existing config entry?

Is it even possible to use two Roku boxes with the app??

Thanks


I had the same issue this weekend. I entered the code of my 2nd (new) box, got that one working, but the 1st (older) roku stopped working...

A reboot of the older roku, a bit of a wait and everything works great now.



Can't say if it was the wait or the reboot that did the magic.

Hope that helps

Dave



Did you enter the second code directly in the config file or the web config utility?
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??

Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dellsweig" wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

"dellsweig" wrote:

Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??


I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

"dellsweig" wrote:

Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??


See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I hope this isn't interpreted as heresy on this thread (;-)) but I'm wondering what the key differences are between this channel and Roksbox.

Has anyone tried both, and can you give a comparison of key differences in features/performance (e.g., loading/response speed)?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"Redflea" wrote:
I hope this isn't interpreted as heresy on this thread (;-)) but I'm wondering what the key differences are between this channel and Roksbox.

Has anyone tried both, and can you give a comparison of key differences in features/performance (e.g., loading/response speed)?

Thanks!


I can't give a comparison since I've never used roksbox, but mymedia is pretty easy to add now. I say just add them both and compare. Smiley Wink

1. Add the channel
2. Go through the channel setup
Requires:
a) installing python & pil (python imaging library) plugin
b) downloading mymedia server
c) telling the server where to find your music/video/pictures
3. Have fun!

It works well for me! Pretty snappy. I use it mostly to listen to my music collection, at least I did until my niece figured out she can get me to put Vampire Diaries and Glee episodes on the MyMedia channel. Smiley LOL
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway
0 Kudos