Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeftOne
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I want to say it fills the entire screen, but I'm not at home right now to verify. I do know for certain that the Flickr channel version of the photos are definitely larger compared to MyMedia.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

"DeftOne" wrote:
I want to say it fills the entire screen, but I'm not at home right now to verify. I do know for certain that the Flickr channel version of the photos are definitely larger compared to MyMedia.

If Flickr is filling the whole screen with the photo, then it is either cropping or stretching the image. The typical photo is a 3:2 aspect image, whereas the HDTV is 16:9. Thats 1.5 versus 1.7, respectively, which means about 12 percent of the screen should be black when viewing a landscape-oriented image.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

Thanks for the explanation, hammerpocket. That sounds like a very reasonable scenario for what the Flickr channel is doing. I'll try to compare the same photo in each channel and see if the Flickr version is stretched or cropped. I suspect you are absolutely right and they are, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Stupid me, I just realized I have the Flickr source code right here (assuming it's still accurate). They use a different scaling method than I'm using. I use "scale-to-fit" and they use "best-fit". I'm big on maintaining aspect ratio and "best-fit" may or may not maintain it depending on how much scaling needs to be done. My biggest complaint about this so-called progress that's been made with digital TV is that a circle is never a circle anymore.

Let me know if you think the scaling method is something that should be user selectable.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

Any idea when the latest updates will be rolled into the master??

I dont want to update my photo2 build and loose out on anything!!!!!

Awsome work

Dan
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

New Developers Preview

New this round:

• More styling and consistency improvements from umbighouse

• New artwork from umbighouse

• Shuffle feature from renojim

• All of the features form the last release

• A couple of server side bugfixes

• Mac PIL installation guide from hammerpocket

• Improved unicode support

• Ability to play through subfolders from renojim

• More channel settings from renojim

• "Now Playing" shortcut from renojim

Get it from the usual place.

Also, I'd like to give a huge thanks to everyone who tests and contributes to this project. Thank you all!

All the best,
Brian
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
New Developers Preview

New this round:

• More styling and consistency improvements from umbighouse

• New artwork from umbighouse

• Shuffle feature from renojim

• All of the features form the last release

• A couple of server side bugfixes

• Mac PIL installation guide from hammerpocket

• Improved unicode support

• Ability to play through subfolders from renojim

• More channel settings from renojim

• "Now Playing" shortcut from renojim

Get it from the usual place.

Also, I'd like to give a huge thanks to everyone who tests and contributes to this project. Thank you all!

All the best,
Brian

Brian

Pulled the preview - installed without a hitch.

I like the new navigation/play options - they take a little getting used to as there is more interaction (keyclicks) to navigate but they work well.

Not sure what the now playing option gives me as before - if I had started playing some music - the music continued to play while I navigated into other folders and displayed a slide show. The only time the music stopped was when I exited the app.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
foliveri
Visitor

Great stuff. I really like the new version. I can now get to my sub folders, before I could not!! I like the new interface for playing music, why do I think i have seen that somewhere before!!

One suggestion would be if you hit the down arrow when you are browsing folders that it would send you back to the "playing now" screen.

Any news on playlists?? Great job though!!

thanks for all the hard work.

Fred
0 Kudos
renojim

"foliveri" wrote:
Great stuff. I really like the new version. I can now get to my sub folders, before I could not!! I like the new interface for playing music, why do I think i have seen that somewhere before!!

Where?

"foliveri" wrote:
One suggestion would be if you hit the down arrow when you are browsing folders that it would send you back to the "playing now" screen.

Roku limits you to what you can do; I assume to maintain consistency across channels. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure the down arrow does nothing (doesn't get sent to the app) when you're in the browse screens. You can tell whether or not a button is usable by whether or not you get a sound effect when you press it. Keep in mind, you'll only hear sound effects if there's no music playing.

"foliveri" wrote:
Any news on playlists??

I'm sending my first attempt at m3u playlist support to el.wubo now.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"dellsweig" wrote:

Not sure what the now playing option gives me as before - if I had started playing some music - the music continued to play while I navigated into other folders and displayed a slide show. The only time the music stopped was when I exited the app.

Yes, but before if you started playing music and navigated to other folders there was no way to pause the music or to just skip to the next song.

-JT

0 Kudos