Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Firmware 5.4 fixed ANSI Subtitles issue

Finally!! I just tested and the Firmware 5.4 (build 3340) on my Roku 3, and it fixed the need of converting the encoding of the subtitles files (srt) from ANSI to UTF-8!

Thanks guys!
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: Firmware 5.4 fixed ANSI Subtitles issue

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
Finally!! I just tested and the Firmware 5.4 (build 3340) on my Roku 3, and it fixed the need of converting the encoding of the subtitles files (srt) from ANSI to UTF-8!

Thanks guys!

Well too early to celebrate, the issue when the last line of the srt file is missing the line-break is still there. The subtitle do not show at all, if the last line of the file do not have CHR(10)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

I gather you are talking about this viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66337

I am a bit suspicious - doesn't this "fix" mean that UTF-8 subtitles will stop working? I mean if it assumes some (which?) 1-byte encoding for SRT, what happens to non-English subtitles?

By the way, talking about "ANSI encoding" is a misnomer - there is no ANSI standard on accented characters etc - see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_codepage . There is ISO-8859 but with 15 distinct variants of it, see this table. If RokuCo picks one encoding like say Windows-1252 (ISO-8859-15), that won't work with non-West European languages. I.e. North, South, Central and East European subtitles are out. IMHO Roku should heavily lean on UTF-8 side in assuming SRT encoding.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I suspect they expanded support, in general, in 5.4 to include additional encodings, as well as unicode (per the observation with the stick here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68751&p=436790#p436790).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

The UTF-8 files still work.

I'm Brazilian, every subtitle I downloaded in portuguese, I had to open in Notepad++ and convert the encoding to UTF-8, now it works both ways.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
The UTF-8 files still work.
I'm Brazilian, every subtitle I downloaded in portuguese, I had to open in Notepad++ and convert the encoding to UTF-8, now it works both ways.

Thanks Marcelo -
since Portuguese works, that lets me figure they went with ISO-8859-15 (or the old one 8859-1).

But does it work if you choose "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM" (apparently Notepad++ has two options, with and without BOM)?
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Hi Enterr,

I never had tried the "without BOM" option, but it works, I just converted a srt file from ANSI to UTF-8 Without BOM and my Roku 3 could show the accented characters with no problem.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
I suspect they expanded support, in general, in 5.4 to include additional encodings, as well as unicode (per the observation with the stick here

Yeah, the thing is - it is tricky.
First there is no "Unicode encoding" - rather, in Unicode each character is represented by a "code point", a number in the range 0 - 0x10FFFF. That means we will need at least 21 bits per character, which is unwieldy (does not fit neatly in octets) - so instead Unicode text is represented in some kind of encoding - like UTF-8, which for all practical purposes is THE way to store/transfer unicode texts. Each unicode character gets stored in 1, 2, 3 or 4 bytes - where ASCII characters \0 - \x7F stay exactly the same 1 byte in UTF-8 and all the other chars are sequence of 2 (or more) bytes >= \x80. Consequently, if i give you a file where all chars are < \x80, it is both in UTF-8 and ASCII/ANSI encoding. If there are characters > \x7F though, it may be either UTF-8 or 1-byte ISO-8859-X (where X and hence the language is unknown)... or something else.
So i am curious how they try to guess the type of the SRT. There is one cheap way - more of a hack, really - of looking if the file starts with \xEF \xBB \xBF (BOM) and if so - it is UTF8. The problem is if it does not start with a BOM, it can still be either UTF8 or ISO/ANSI.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
I never had tried the "without BOM" option, but it works, I just converted a srt file from ANSI to UTF-8 Without BOM and my Roku 3 could show the accented characters with no problem.

Oh great - thank you for trying that for me.
So i guess they did it "the right way", by using heuristic on the file content. Good job, Roku - i am impressed.
0 Kudos
planck
Visitor

I still cannot see Greek subtitles, not even when i convert them to UTF-8.
0 Kudos