Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Enabling Developer Mode

I'm having trouble enabling Developer Mode on my Roku 3 Model 4200X running Software version 7.1.0 • build 4062-04.

From https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Loading+and+Running+Your+Application+Walkthrough:
Enabling Development Mode on your box
Before you are able to load a development application to your box, you must enable development mode on your Roku Streaming device. Development mode can be enabled only on a linked device.

OK
Your device must be linked to a Roku user account.

It is. We watch movies all the time.
To enable development mode, enter the special remote control sequence: Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right.

Starting at Home,
    Home 3x -- no change
    Up 2x -- Streaming Channels
    Right -- Featured
    Left -- Streaming Channels
    Right -- Featured
    Left -- Streaming Channels
    Right -- Featured

You will be presented with the Developer Settings page where you can enable developer mode on the box.

Nuh-uh. WhaddIdo wrong?
Any ideas?

--Gil
--Gil
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Enabling Developer Mode

The button presses have to be entered in a particular cadence about 2 button presses per second. If you go too slow or have a pause in the sequence it won't work.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Zeowa! Glad I asked!

Thanks,

--Gil
--Gil
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

It sounds scarier than it is :). Just to clarify - no sense of rhythm required and up to a second between button presses still works.

I just tested and was able to activate the combo slowed down to ten seconds. I think the combo "expires" when a second passes with no follow-up press.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The particular cadence doesn't matter nor does the time between two successive keypresses. However the entire sequence must be entered within 10 seconds.

--Mark
0 Kudos