Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jvalero
Visitor

Eclipse Setup in OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Hello,

I'm having issues getting the Eclipse plugin to activate in Eclipse for Java Developers (Juno 4.2) running on OSX 10.10 (Yosemite). I've followed the instructions found here: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ugin+Guide. The plugin installs correctly and does show as available installed software. However, the perspective is not available. I've read in another thread that this might be caused by the fact that Java 1.7 is required. However, Apple has made a Java Release which supersedes all previous installs on Macs and it is essentially Java 1.6. You can see the release here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?view ... cale=en_US. This fixed a lot of issues and is the current recommended version from Apple. So you can see my predicament. Have most of my software running with the release from Apple, but I can't run the BrightScript Eclipse plugin.

Can you please add support for Apple's Java? I have to do some testing and updates to all 8 of the channels I currently have live on Roku.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jvalero
Visitor

Re: Eclipse Setup in OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Digging into this a bit further I see that Apple no longer supports multiple versions of Java being installed either.

Is it safe to install previous or older versions of Java?
Oracle highly discourages users from using older versions of Java. Installing old and supported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk. Upgrading to the latest version of Java ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system. You can confirm that you have the latest version on the verification page. If installing an older version of Java is absolutely required, you must first uninstall the current version. See the instructions on the Mac uninstall Java FAQ.

Source: http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml#newerver

When will support for Java 1.8 be available for the BrightScript IDE?
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

My impression (and correct me if I'm wrong, people who know more) is that you shouldn't hold your breath 😐
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

There are quite a few "how to" guides and discussions of how to install Java 1.7 on various mac versions including Yosemite. They all see to be somewhat convoluted, so you should probably sit down to do it when you have lots of time on your hands. A similar issue I ran into attempting to get Eclipse up an running on Snow Leopard, you have to install Java 1.7, and, while I did accomplish that part, Eclipse wasnt seeing it. There were several conflicting guides on how to make that happen, at that point I gave up for the evening.

At some point if you want to get Eclipse and the Roku plugin working on your mac, you may have to take some risk that something might get screwed up.

- Joel
0 Kudos
jvalero
Visitor

Thanks for the replies.

@RokuJoel

Is there any planned support for Java 1.8 and OSX Yosemite? I'm scratching my head at the idea that I have to risk a "screwed up" Mac just to use the tool Roku provides. I realize we're right up against the holidays, but at least hearing that something would be released at the beginning of the new year would be great. As you know we have several apps on Roku and we're trying to ramp up to release some improvements.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I'll send an inquiry to the developer of our Eclipse plugin and see if there is anything he can do.

- Joel
0 Kudos
jvalero
Visitor

Thanks Joel!

Please give a Happy Holidays to your team from the team here at blinkx. 🙂
0 Kudos