Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tschak909
Visitor

ECP and is something playing?

Hello. I am improving our integration code for our smart home platform, LinuxMCE. Is there any way to ask the Roku device if something is playing, so that I can update internal state appropriately? I don't need to know WHAT'S playing, but rather if something IS, so that I can send play/pause appropriately when phone calls happen in the home.

-Thom
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: ECP and is something playing?

You could implement a simple webserver based on the example in the SDK and use that to return information to the requesting device.

-Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You could implement a simple webserver based on the example in the SDK and use that to return information to the requesting device.

RokuJoel,
The question is how to query Roku player if something is playing, regardless of the "channel". We have no access to modify Netflix, Pandora, Amazon etc, so your answer is not relevant.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hmm, I don't see that level of specificity in the original post.

The answer is: not at this time.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
The answer is: not at this time.

So couple of requests for enhancements then:
  1. (my request) Provide functionality so that ECP query can return what channel# Roku is currently "tuned" to (0 if in main menu?). Presumably further detail is up to individual channels to publish (we can discuss and agree on recommended API for that)

2. (per @tschak909 question) Consider adding functionality so that via ECP query it can be determined if video or audio is being played, no matter the channel. (now this is somewhat unclear - while if programmed in B/S, it probably is known to the system if a multimedia control is playing, it may not be so with NDK/else. Also how is pausing to be done here, presumably by shooting ECP pause and hoping the channel pauses?)
0 Kudos
tschak909
Visitor

If there was a simple way to send a discrete pause, that always paused, and ignored if it was already paused, as well as a discrete play, this would not be an issue. But I am having to work around it.

-Thom
0 Kudos
erl11
Visitor

tschak909, did you ever figure something out for this? I too would like a discrete pause for my home auto system, or even better to query the state. This way i could resume play only if i know the Roku was already playing.
0 Kudos