Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device registration

Considering the use case when user has to register his device for accessing a channel,(randezvous style of registration), how should the device be identified? For there are two calls that I can see under the ifDeviceInfo :
1)GetDeviceUniqueId() : this should be never used for registration though as specified in the docs
2)GetPublisherId()

GetPublisherId is unique to a particular channel , it is persistent, but considering a scenario where user uninstalls the channel and re-installs it, would this be the same for the second time ?
Is there any other style of registration that can be used?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: Device registration

I typically generate a random unique code. Depending on the situation, I might append it to the device ID to facilitate support. The key is to make it so that the user can easily unlink with a factory reset or by uninstalling the channel (i.e., by clearing the registry).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Thank you Endless, that surely helped Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Veeta
Level 7

I generate my own UUID and store it in the registry for a new channel. You can use GetRandomUUID for that. I use this method because the lifespan of the channel registry is clearly understood. If the user removes and reinstalls the channel, a new UUID would be generated and the registry process would happen again. I like this method since it guarantees compliance with PII for Google Analytics terms of use and other similar API's.
0 Kudos

Hi veeta,
though the probability might be minute, but it is possible that multiple random UUIDs over different devices might clash.
0 Kudos
lmarder
Level 7

Thanks for the assist!
0 Kudos