Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device registration

Considering the use case when user has to register his device for accessing a channel,(randezvous style of registration), how should the device be identified? For there are two calls that I can see under the ifDeviceInfo :
1)GetDeviceUniqueId() : this should be never used for registration though as specified in the docs
2)GetPublisherId()

GetPublisherId is unique to a particular channel , it is persistent, but considering a scenario where user uninstalls the channel and re-installs it, would this be the same for the second time ?
Is there any other style of registration that can be used?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Device registration

I typically generate a random unique code. Depending on the situation, I might append it to the device ID to facilitate support. The key is to make it so that the user can easily unlink with a factory reset or by uninstalling the channel (i.e., by clearing the registry).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Thank you Endless, that surely helped 🙂
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

I generate my own UUID and store it in the registry for a new channel. You can use GetRandomUUID for that. I use this method because the lifespan of the channel registry is clearly understood. If the user removes and reinstalls the channel, a new UUID would be generated and the registry process would happen again. I like this method since it guarantees compliance with PII for Google Analytics terms of use and other similar API's.
0 Kudos

Hi veeta,
though the probability might be minute, but it is possible that multiple random UUIDs over different devices might clash.
0 Kudos
lmarder
Visitor

Thanks for the assist!
0 Kudos