Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device / Machine ID and Information and Registry

So to be upfront, I'm a newbie at programming in BrightScript. I've created several Roku channels by copying and modifying as needed the videoplayer example source files. However, I'm now at a point where I need to be able to create custom scripts and know and do more advanced things than just the basics.

So here are the two things I am seeking out if possible.

1) How do I get information about the particular device? Things such as the machine id, local ip address, outside ip address, software version, model number, etc. Is there some associative array somewhere that I can access with all this information?

2) I noticed in the register example of the example documents that there were some commands relating to working with the device's registry. (i.e. RegRead, RegWrite, RegDelete). Is there further documentation on this somewhere that explains more than just showing some example code?

FYI: I have Googled for two days on both of these questions and went through the online documentation and the downloadable PDFs on Roku development and BrightScript reference to no avail. So I figured this would logically be the next step before trying to bug the support email address.

Also, not sure if this helps any or not, but my programming background is in BASIC, HTML, JavaScript, PHP, and Java.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.
שלום חבר

Dean at the School of Truth: a part of Autodidact University.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"
Temet nosce
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Si vis pacem, para bellum
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
dcrandall
Visitor

Re: Device / Machine ID and Information and Registry

1.) roDeviceInfo has quite a bit of what you're interested in.
2.) roRegistrySection. Basically you have access to name-value pairs within your application's 'space'.

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... umentation

EDIT: In general there's a pretty dire need for a "best practices" or "design patterns" in brightscript, if anyone wants to write a book on it. 😉
0 Kudos

lol, You just HAVE to love the proprietary syntax of Roku/BrightScript.

Thanks for the information. I guess those naming conventions was why I couldn't bring anything up. Seems like you got me on the right track now though, so thanks again.

For anyone else who may have these same questions or seeking this same information and run across this in the future, here are the direct links to the online documentation:

Device Information:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roDeviceInfo

Registry Documentation:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roRegistrySection
שלום חבר

Temet nosce
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

And one new one: roAppInfo

5.x firmware and higher only.

- Joel
0 Kudos

Very Nice! Thanks for the addition!
שלום חבר

Temet nosce
0 Kudos