Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Developer mode not working?

Just unboxed a new roku 3 --
By default, the developer page is not enabled. You must enter the remote code Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right to enable it. A walkthrough of the packaging process is detailed later in this document.

This doesn't give me any menu option to enable developer mode. Is it just taking too long to show all the items switching through the new fun menus?
Pressing home goes to "Home" on the menu, pressing up twice goes to Streaming Channels, then right and left goes to some very slow drawing screens as it shows the channel store stuff. Am I missing something? I tried slow, and I tried fast.

It appears when pressing left the roku inserts a down button press all by itself now if you hit the left button before right screen is done drawing. So what it's doing here is prohibiting 'developer mode' from being enabled.
I did eventually get it enabled...what a pain.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Developer mode not working?

I found that a little hard to follow... Are you saying that by going VERY slow you were able to enter the correct sequence?

I recently picked up a Roku 3 and had no problem at all, worked fine first try.

Maybe you have a remote that's starting to have issues? Maybe try with the mobile phone app? (I've never tried that for entering dev mode, does it even work?)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Did you connect to network and do "first update" before trying to enable Dev. mode?
"HHHUURLRLR" would not work before that.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"Komag" wrote:
Maybe you have a remote that's starting to have issues? Maybe try with the mobile phone app? (I've never tried that for entering dev mode, does it even work?)

You need to use a physical remote.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The issue is the remote control - pressing left sometimes presses down too.
Can I get an exchange of the 'enhanced remote' model RC19 please?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Can I get an exchange of the 'enhanced remote' model RC19 please?

I imagine you can if you contact customer service. If you just purchased it, why not return it for a new one?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Check your PM :mrgreen:

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Thanks guys.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:

May or may not be related - but the D-pad of the game remote supports diagonal press by design. I mean this is a feature, not a bug - notice that D-pad in all radio-remotes is the "rocker" type, a solid cross-shaped peace of plastic that can be thumb-tilted up/down/left/right - but also diagonally. And that's something that the games can use*. In contrast, the IR remotes have a soft silicon non-rocker D-pad.

(*) unless they are written in B/S, that is - but we discussed that elsewhere.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Thanks Enterr. Yes, the replacement remote (same model number, same button layout) works just fine. All 8 directions work, but when you press left, this one registers left (instead of down-left) -- the previous remote must have a defective switch placement inside the plastic. Thank you guys for all the help on this.
0 Kudos