Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theSmaw
Visitor

Controlling bitmap opacity

I believe this may already have been asked and not been answered: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50839&p=344901&hilit=alpha#p344901

I have a requirement to fade images (roBitmap) in and out on the screen. Is this possible?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Controlling bitmap opacity

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/plugins/viewsou ... Id=3114035

Looks like by redrawing the destination surface you should be able to change the alpha values for combining new data drawn to it.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

If you're just wanting to fade in and out and not do a cross fade, and the background color is solid, you could fake it by drawing a rect over the bitmap with increasing/decreasing alpha values.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This hasn't been added to the online docs yet:

DrawObject, DrawScaledObject, & DrawRotatedObject take an optional RGBA color parameter. To modulate the alpha, pass in &hFFFFFFAA where AA is the hexadecimal alpha value.

Example: DrawScaledObject(x as Integer, y as Integer, scaleX as Float, scaleY as Float, src as Object, rgba as integer)

(this allows you do do a crossfade of solid images).

This does not work on 3.1 firmware devices and will cause your code to crash.

- Joel
0 Kudos
theSmaw
Visitor

Brilliant Joel, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Arthy74
Visitor

Hello,

I am sorry but apparently i have an error when using this last "mask" parameter with DrawScaledObject
(works for DrawObject method)

m.canvas.DrawScaledObject(xOffset, yOffset, m.scaleX, m.scaleY, m.bitmapData, &hFFFFFFFF)

Show this error:
Type Mismatch. (runtime error &h18)

Tested on Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS (both updated)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Could you be using a legacy Roku device running 3.1 firmware? Those don't support the extra parameter.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Could you be using a legacy Roku device running 3.1 firmware? Those don't support the extra parameter.

- Joel

Pretty sure there are no Roku3's running 3.1

I use this feature to death but because of it's un-documented-ness I only know about it because Joel has posted it before. I've never made it work on drawRotatedobject and i know i've tried. Works like a charm on drawObject & drawscaledobject though.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Arthy74" wrote:
Show this error:
Type Mismatch. (runtime error &h18)

The "Type Mismatch" would suggest that one of your variables isn't equal to what you think it is. Is it possible you don't have a valid bitmap in m.bitmapData? Can you verify, without changing anything else in the code, that it works if you remove the last parameter?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
mbhakak
Visitor

I tested the code you have with my own bitmap, and indeed, I get the type mismatch error when I apply a rgba value on the DrawScaledObject call.
I verified that the image is fine, so when I remove the rgba parameter, the image does show up.

I am running Roku 3 on a 6.1 build

I did some more digging and found that the method DrawObject also has a RGBA parameter that is undocumented.
That method worked.

SO: someScreen.DrawObject(20, 20, image, &hFFFFFF33) did show the image with an alpha, no error. Hope that helps....
However, I can imagine someone wanting to draw a scaled image scaled with transparency....hmmm, something to worry about later?
0 Kudos