Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akw13
Channel Surfer

Bug in 10.0.1 ? 'Options' key is not being consumed by onKeyEvent when Video node is in focus

Jump to solution

Hi there. I have a bug I'm seeing on devices that have the 10.0.1 release (build 4180-CR) that I'm not seeing in the 10.0.0 release (build 4209-91). My onKeyEvent handler is not consuming the options key when the video node is in focus. This code has not changed at all over the past few months so the only thing that seems different is the OS release, and considering the nature of the 10.0.0 release, it seems related.

Per the documentation, "The behavior of the Roku Options overlay has been modified, such that the Options overlay now slides in whenever the Options button is pressed, the Video node is in focus, and the app does not have its OnKeyEvent() handler fired. When the Video node is not in focus, the Options overlay does not slide in and the OnKeyEvent() handler is fired."

After tinkering with it, I cannot seem to get the onKeyEvent handler to pick up the 'options' press at all on devices that have the new 10.0.1 OS version. Wondering if anyone is seeing anything similar? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: Bug in 10.0.1 ? 'Options' key is not being consumed by onKeyEvent when Video node is in focus

Jump to solution

@akw13 wrote: My onKeyEvent handler is not consuming the options key when the video node is in focus.

Starting from Roku OS 8, the behavior of the Roku system overlay is such that the system overlay now slides in whenever the * button is pressed, the Video node is in focus, and the app does not have its OnKeyEvent() handler fired. When the Video node is not in focus, the system overlay does not slide in and the OnKeyEvent() handler is fired.

The video node will consume the options key and not release the press to your onkey event handler. You can intercept the unpress of the options button but the Roku overlay still appears on press. It is what it is. You cannot use the options key when audio or video is playing on the Roku. Roku does not want you to anymore. You must find another way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
akw13
Channel Surfer

Re: Bug in 10.0.1 ? 'Options' key is not being consumed by onKeyEvent when Video node is in focus

Jump to solution

Turns out this isn't anything new in 10.0.1, but rather is an issue with 4k devices in particular:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Open-Closed-caption-dialog-even-if-my-video-is-...

Going to mark this as resolved, though it would be nice to know why 4k devices don't respect onKeyEvent handling when there is a video node (that is not in focus).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
speechles
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@akw13 wrote: My onKeyEvent handler is not consuming the options key when the video node is in focus.

Starting from Roku OS 8, the behavior of the Roku system overlay is such that the system overlay now slides in whenever the * button is pressed, the Video node is in focus, and the app does not have its OnKeyEvent() handler fired. When the Video node is not in focus, the system overlay does not slide in and the OnKeyEvent() handler is fired.

The video node will consume the options key and not release the press to your onkey event handler. You can intercept the unpress of the options button but the Roku overlay still appears on press. It is what it is. You cannot use the options key when audio or video is playing on the Roku. Roku does not want you to anymore. You must find another way.

0 Kudos
akw13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Turns out this isn't anything new in 10.0.1, but rather is an issue with 4k devices in particular:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Open-Closed-caption-dialog-even-if-my-video-is-...

Going to mark this as resolved, though it would be nice to know why 4k devices don't respect onKeyEvent handling when there is a video node (that is not in focus).

0 Kudos