Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philotas
Roku Guru

Billing Testing only for root account user?

Jump to solution

The Billing Testing docs say that:

Why is that? Why can't I test this with another role? E.g. as the developer of the app.

It seems my client has to give me it's credential and connect my Roku Box with that user in order to properly debug Roku Pay implementation?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Billing Testing only for root account user?

Jump to solution

That's correct, unfortunately billing testing can only be enabled for the root account user at this time. It is a known feature enhancement to the way role-based permissions are set up in the Developer Dashboard today, but is not prioritized at this time. I'll log this as a +1 on the request internally.

For the time being, the solution you presented below is the best workaround. Or, to preserve the security of your client's credentials, you could have them add your device for you. To do that, they can log into their Roku account, click on My Account, click "+Link a device" under the "My linked devices" section, and then enter the Link Code, which you would have to share with them real-time either over the phone, SMS, Slack, etc.

If you take the approach of having your client link your device for you, then do be sure to have them go into their Developer Dashboard and mark the channel in question as being the Billing Testing channel. If they're not a developer, you may want to walk them through this via a screenshare. The "Enabling billing testing" doc you linked to below includes screenshots of the UI and steps walking through the process: https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/roku-pay/testing/billing-testing.md

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

That's correct, unfortunately billing testing can only be enabled for the root account user at this time. It is a known feature enhancement to the way role-based permissions are set up in the Developer Dashboard today, but is not prioritized at this time. I'll log this as a +1 on the request internally.

For the time being, the solution you presented below is the best workaround. Or, to preserve the security of your client's credentials, you could have them add your device for you. To do that, they can log into their Roku account, click on My Account, click "+Link a device" under the "My linked devices" section, and then enter the Link Code, which you would have to share with them real-time either over the phone, SMS, Slack, etc.

If you take the approach of having your client link your device for you, then do be sure to have them go into their Developer Dashboard and mark the channel in question as being the Billing Testing channel. If they're not a developer, you may want to walk them through this via a screenshare. The "Enabling billing testing" doc you linked to below includes screenshots of the UI and steps walking through the process: https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/roku-pay/testing/billing-testing.md

philotas
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick answer.

Luckily I don't use my Roku device for anything else so I can go down that route because if I install a random channel on the device directly (not via web) it would also automatically be installed on all other devices where the root account is connected, correct?

0 Kudos