Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rek
Visitor

Automated publishing

Does anyone know of a way to automate publishing of a Roku channel? I've built a toolchain that performs some custom build steps and outputs either a .zip or .pkg file. I often do builds which I upload to a private channel for testing, and I find it cumbersome to login and navigate the website each time. I'd love to add another option to my build script which performs the upload.

I investigated using mechanize, however it doesn't execute javascript (which much of the site relies on).

Has anyone tackled this successfully?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Rek
Visitor

Re: Automated publishing

"Rek" wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to automate publishing of a Roku channel? I've built a toolchain that performs some custom build steps and outputs either a .zip or .pkg file. I often do builds which I upload to a private channel for testing, and I find it cumbersome to login and navigate the website each time. I'd love to add another option to my build script which performs the upload.

I investigated using mechanize, however it doesn't execute javascript (which much of the site relies on).

Has anyone tackled this successfully?

I'm going to take the lack of replies as a resounding "no".

@Roku*: If there is not currently a logged request for an API which would make this possible, then I request one 🙂
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

But it's only been one day!

But probably you're right. 😛
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"Komag" wrote:
But it's only been one day!

But probably you're right. 😛

One day and 30+ thread views... I figured there's a good chance that you, enterr, endless, squirrel, and belltown would've likely seen it Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I can't think of a single good reason to do this, and about a million good reasons not to. How often are you publishing updates to channels that you need to automate it, and is it often enough to risk writing a script that could do it accidentally? Sounds very dangerous to me...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
I can't think of a single good reason to do this, and about a million good reasons not to. How often are you publishing updates to channels that you need to automate it, and is it often enough to risk writing a script that could do it accidentally? Sounds very dangerous to me...

I agree that it has the potential to do damage if misused. It wouldn't be for publishing to production. Only myself and a few coworkers have access to the private channel.

Google has an API in place for play store which allows this already. I believe the iOS app store does too.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Hmmm, publishing an app is like a sharpshooting contest - and you are asking to be allowed to bring in a machine gun! Smiley LOL

Next thing you know, some XP enthusiast will figure that is a great opportunity to do continuous deployment and start peppering RokuCo's backend with buckshot. That is beyond annoying - it is expensive. There is a good chance Co's file storage does not even delete old packages, keeping them in perpetuity.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Your q. made me thinking and here is an idea: use side-loading for yourself and your colleagues.

With a twist: at start, channel checks and if roAppInfo.IsDev() then POST roAppInfo.GetVersion() to a web service at a shared server - and then continues executing as usual.

That staging server will be the one hosting latest version of your app. When it gets tickled by a Roku, it will check if the submitted version# is older than the one it has - and if so, it will retaliate by POST uploading the new pkg at the client IP (which causes app to re-start). Else it will keep truce.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Ah, but running your own 'channel store' - even for a single channel, is against the developer agreement.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Ah, but running your own 'channel store' - even for a single channel, is against the developer agreement.

Not a channel store. Have you read the opening recitations of said agreement - or did you have unrelated pet-peeve you thought you'd bring to the thread? 😉
“Channel Store” means a storefront of channel applications that Roku makes available to End Users in a
defined territory, which storefront is provided by the Player as an on-screen menu that permits End Users
in the applicable territory to browse and install said channel applications on their Player.

You can stop at the 3rd word of the definition - "storefront". No "storefront" => not a "channel store". There are other reasons, if you continue reading but one is enough.
0 Kudos