Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk865

Publish Roku Channel *Without* a Roku TV?

Hello Everyone!

My siblings have a Roku TV, (I'm the oldest and 19, the youngest is 9) and I just published my HTML5 Game to the Amazon App Store (for Fire TVs and Fire Tablets), and thought it would be nice to put it on the Roku Channel Store too for them! I got far enough, then realized you apparently need a Roku Device signed into your account in order to develop a Channel. I was wondering if there is any way to deploy my app without that, because I don't have a Roku, and all of their subscriptions are on that, and have been since I was living in that house at 9, so I wouldn't want to randomly show up at their house and sign them out of everything to sign me in just to develop a channel. I just today created my Roku account, verified my email and everything, and most likely will delete my account because it would be pointless if I do need a device to develop, but I'm just wondering if I can avoid all of that drama and develop my channel without a Roku device.

Thank you all for reading this!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Publish Roku Channel *Without* a Roku TV?

You must have a Roku device to package your app, but you don't have their Roku TV linked to your Roku account.  However, you should know that developing for Roku devices is very, very different than developing for Amazon/Android.  Your game won't run on a Roku device without a lot of work.  HTML isn't supported in any fashion.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.