Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: unpair remote from tv and cable

Jump to solution

Thank you for the added information, @DonnaB.

We also appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps provided above. 

In this case, we suggest pressing and holding the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset the remote. After doing so, try to pair it again to see if this will navigate your Roku Streaming Stick 4K again. 

Let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DonnaB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So I pressed the Home and Back buttons simultaneously for a good 40 seconds as suggested.  After that I removed the batteries from the remote for about a minute just to be sure the remote reset.  Replaced the batteries and pressed the power button on the Roku remote.  It still did not turn the Roku device on, only shut the TV off as that procedure to reset the IR code did not work either just as the last two given procedures from your staff did not work.  Don't you have a knowledge base of known valid solutions you can refer to instead of having to guess and hope it works every time?

At this point I just want to get a refund or have a new Streaming Stick4K with RC833 remote sent.  This is just extremely frustrating and a needless waste of time.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The power button on the Roku remote is only for the TV.  The Roku doesn't switch on and off based on a button.  Some Rokus do have an optional power saving mode where they go to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity.  To wake a sleeping Roku up, you can press the home key.  (Actually I think any non-TV button may work to wake it up, but I always use home.  When I say non-TV button, I am excluding the power, vol up vol down and mute buttons which only affect the TV.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

BTW, I’ve never done a remote reset (I just lied and programmed my remote for the “wrong” TV) but I THINK home and back refers to two buttons at the top end of the remote.  I just wanted to mention that, since I think “back” could also be interpreted as the skip back button or the rewind button that are around the center of the remote.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
DonnaB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What a horrible company.  No email or phone support.  Did the chat thing.  The first agent was in too much of a hurry to let me type the problem so he just dropped me.  The second agent had me go through a factory reset after I told him other users reported that did not solve the problem.  Then after half an hour when that did not work he also just dropped me and left the chat.  Third agent finally agreed to replace the unit but then TOOK THAT UNIT OFF MY ACCOUNT so I now I can not even get chat support!

Have only had this model a month but it has been a nightmare so far.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DonnaB,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will be glad to assist you on our end. Kindly send us a private message together with your shipping address, phone number, and type of Roku remote (simple, voice, or voice pro) so we'll be able to proceed with the necessary steps to address this.

To send us a private message, click this community link for instructions: Help: Roku Community

We'll be waiting for your message.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
djarvis8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi.

I don't suppose there's a way to use the IR functionality to turn off the TV but keep the volume using CEC?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @djarvis8,

Greetings from the Roku community!

We appreciate your time posting and inquiring about IR and CEC functionality on the Roku remote and TV. Some Roku voice remotes incorporate both wireless and infrared (IR) technologies, letting you seamlessly control your Roku streaming device along with aspects of your TV, and some do not. To learn more about this, you can check out this support article here.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                    Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
djarvis8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It seems they should remove the bots from trying to answer people's questions here.  Most bot responses contain info that can just be regularly found on the internet.  Most questions here need real human responses, assuming the humans take the time to read and comprehend the message.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.