Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTKP
Reel Rookie

tv VOLUME CONTROL QUITS INTERMITTENTLY

OK, I know many posts have touched on this topic, but I've experimented quite a bit on it.  I hope someone at ROKU reads this because it may lead them to a solution.  We have a roku express 4k+, sn X01600K8JA18 and loss of volume control is intermittent.  But here's the wierd part, it's predictable and intermittent.  It seems like it drops most often when you go into an app, and start an old tv show.  It will happen every time I go to Amazon of freevee, and launch Ozzie and Harriet it may immediately, or a short time after it starts.  Then if I back out of the app it may start working again, or I may have to go in another app and start a modern show to work again.  I have not found a modern show that shuts it off, and I never have to restart the roku to get it to return.  Also note I am using IR control for the TV, and the original TV remote still works when the ROKU doesn't.  So it appears something is the processing of these older tv shows walks over the data for the remote, and its refreshed when starting something else.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
JTKP
Reel Rookie

Re: tv VOLUME CONTROL QUITS INTERMITTENTLY

Update to my previous post.  One of the fine members of this community recommended updating the remote firmware.  ROKU has requested that the method not be posted, however this did fix the problem, and if you have an intermittent IR volume control issue, I recommend you contact ROKU support to upgrade your remote firmware.  

phil_s_123

I had this issue and am going to leave an account of how I was able to fix it - in case it is useful for anybody else. My ROKU stick was connected to a 2020 LG TV. The TV is then connected to a SONOS Play Soundbar using an optical connection - using the LG volume control would control the soundbar volume.

I was able to get the ROKU stick to connect to the TV via IR. At that point I could control the volume. However the connection was not reliable. I could see that remote was putting out infra red - and I could see that the TV was indicating the volume was being adjusted - but, while things worked initially, they would not do so for long - and I would have to go through re-connection to get them working again.

The solution was simple: I needed to go to my SONOS setup and add my ROKU remote as a control. After that everything worked fine. So - if you have a SONOS soundbar - or anything else where the soundbar might need configuration separate from either ROKU or the TV - maybe look to try this.

0 Kudos
JTKP
Reel Rookie

I do wish ROKU would fix the problem with the tv volume control quitting intermittently on the voice remote.  The only way I have benn keeping the volume control working , is to rerun the online remote firmware update in the "secret menu" whenever it quits.  Them miraculously it works flawlessly for a week, or maybe 3 months.  I have to believe it must be correlated with some other automatic update.  If Roku is listening, I would be happy to provide details, or perform some testing for them.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JTKP,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As per checking your account, we have seen multiple devices linked. Could you specifically provide us with the device ID of the device that this remote pairs with? this can be found in Settings > System > About. We'd like to look closely into this concern.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.