Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfjfa
Reel Rookie

pairing a simple remote with Roku streambar

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: pairing a simple remote with Roku streambar

The simple remote would control the Roku Streambar as far menu, cursor, transport functions. But what the Simple remote lacks is Volume and Mute keys, which are essential with speakers. The $20 Voice remote would work once paired:

Amazon.com: Roku Voice Remote | TV Remote Control with Voice Control, TV Controls, Simple Setup, & P...

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jfjfa
Reel Rookie

Well, my simple remote does NOT control my streambar- for whatever reason. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

The Simple Remote is IR only. I'm guessing that because you must have the volume buttons on the remote to control the audio, it's going to require a Voice Remote. If the Streambar will work at all with an IR remote (there's nothing to pair, IR doesn't require pairing) you must have a clear line of sight from the remote to the Streambar. But I have a hunch the Streambar models don't have an IR receiver, so the simple remote won't work. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Roku Streambar's do accept IR remotes, they respond to the original Roku IR codes with a few extra commands for volume and mute. The newest Roku Streambar SE comes with an IR remote. 

@jfjfa 

We don't know what IR remote you bought, it might be Roku tv IR simple remote which won't control your Streambar at all. Does it have volume keys on the side? 

Edmund

jfjfa
Reel Rookie

The remote does have volume controls on the side.

BUT-- The side of the box the remote came in says it works with ROKU TV models but is NOT compatible with Roku Players.   I assume the streambar must be a Roku Player.

0 Kudos
aliranazumar
Reel Rookie

If your simple Roku remote has no pairing button, make sure the batteries are fresh, point the remote directly at the Roku Streambar, and press any button to pair it automatically. If this doesn't work, try restarting the Streambar and ensure there are no obstructions between the remote and the Streambar.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@jfjfa 

Right the Streambar is considered a Roku player and not a Roku tv. Sorry you just bought the wrong remote. 😞

Edmund

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.