Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SengEar
Channel Surfer

bought a Roku Express with a defective remote - how to return it back to Roku to get one that works

I recently bought a Roku Express at Shopper Drug Mart in Regina, SK.  SN: S07S21C2R7C9 SKU#3940CA.

When I tied to set it up, it is stuck on on the Language page as the standard remote does not work to press ok to start the set up.  I tried everything that was suggested on the roku community site like replacing the batteries, check the IR light on the remote with my iphone (there is no light coming out of the remote), etc... So it looks like I have a defective remote.

I even tried downloading the roku app remote on my iphone but I can't access that roku as it's not set up yet on the same WI-FI network to be able to access it with my iphone app/remote.

I tried to return this product at Shopper Drug Mart to get another one but they don't do returns! Shopper told me to contact Roku directly to return this defective product to exchange for another one. 

Tried looking for phone number or email on the Roku site to contact Roku to return this defective Roku to get another one but I can't find any info on it. Please help me on how to contact Roku to start the process to return this defective roku to get another one. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: bought a Roku Express with a defective remote - how to return it back to Roku to get one that...

Hi @SengEar,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: bought a Roku Express with a defective remote - how to return it back to Roku to get one that wo

Couple of things to check.

Some Roku remotes require the batteries to be inserted pointing in the same direction, others require the batteries to be pointing in opposite directions. The remote won't work if the batteries are in the wrong orientation. Beneath the batteries in battery compartment there should be a little molded diagram showing correct battery orientation.

You can check whether the remote is putting out an infrared signal by pointing it at a digital camera -- a camera in a phone or tablet will do. Watch the image on the camera view screen -- if you see it flash when you press buttons on the remote, the remote is sending infrared signals.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
SengEar
Channel Surfer

Re: bought a Roku Express with a defective remote - how to return it back to Roku to get one that...

Thanks @RokuMary-F, I am still waiting for someone from the Roku support team to contact me via email.

@makaiguy, thanks for those suggestions. I tried everything. Sadly, I think I have a defective Roku. It is basically stuck on the set up screen. Tried to press "OK" and other buttons on the remote to select the language to start the set up but nothing happens. Restarted/unplugged several times and it is still stuck on the set up screen asking me to select a language before I can proceed... which I can't as the remote and Roku is stuck on that set up screen. 😞

0 Kudos
F250
Reel Rookie

Hello... During your initial install and startup, did you see any screens go by regarding "pairing" the remote to the device? If the remote was not paired, then you are unable to use it to control the device. Maybe that step wasn't completed. So, make sure the batteries are fresh (might try a different set), they are installed correctly, then MANUALLY pair the remote. Go to the link below to see how to pair your particular model remote. Hope this helps, Steve B

https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

0 Kudos
SengEar
Channel Surfer

@RokuMary-F  it has been a couple of weeks and I haven't got an email or contact from Roku yet?

I have a defective Roku and would like to return it for one that is working. I tried to return it to Shoppers (where I bought it)  but they said that they don't take return and I will have to contact Roku directly to return it and get one that works.

The Roku I bought is stuck on the "Let's get started" home.  We thought it was the remote issue but tried using other roku remotes and it still does not work. We checked all the remotes and see a flash of light on the camera screen when we press the button. But the Roku is still stuck on that page, it won't let me select any language and proceed to set up. I tried everything already, resetting, unplugging, different remotes, etc...

Another option is to use my iPhone app to control it but I can't get pass the Let's get started" home page to set up the WIFI or get the Roku device's ID address to control with the app?  Would Roku or someone know what the Roku's device's complete ID address for this particular Roku model I have? Maybe I can control and setup this Roku using the Roku app instead? Or it might be easier to just return it and get a working Roku!

Serial Number: S07S21C2R7C9

SKU#3940CA.

renojim

@SengEar, there's no way to use the app to set up a Roku and there's no way to use the app to control a Roku device that isn't already connected to the same network as the phone.

For warranty returns:

Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SengEar
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, you are right. There is really no way to use the app if I can't get into the Roku to set it up with the same network as my phone.

I tried clicking on that "warranty return" link but it takes me back to the "How can we help" page again. That link does not seem to exist for warranty return?

0 Kudos
renojim

Hmm... where are you located?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SengEar
Channel Surfer

I'm located in Canada.  City is Regina. Province is Saskatchewan.

0 Kudos