Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerankin2
Binge Watcher

YouTube app and loss of * key during playback

Lately when I watch videos on the YouTube app, I've noticed that I lose the * key functionality on the remote on some videos, but not others. On many videos, the key operates normally, and displays the TV Settings flyout menu. However on other videos, the key is completely dead, no response at all. If an ad comes on to interrupt such a video, * key functionality is usually restored during the ad. However, * key functionality also disappears during some ads that interrupt videos in which the key was enabled. So far, no clear pattern has emerged. Anyone else seeing any behavior like this?

I've always noticed * key functionality varies from app to app, but heretofore, I don't recall seeing variation inside the Roku YouTube app from video to video. I recall the * key always being enabled.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube app and loss of * key during playback

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @jerankin2!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We would be happy to thoroughly assess your concern and help you find the best resolution. 

Is this only happening on the YouTube app? Have you tried this on a different app? Also, have you recently received any software updates? You can check it under Settings > System > Software update > Check Now.

In the meantime, we can try to reboot your Roku remote to see if this will make any difference:

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote.

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds. 

For reference, you may check this support article for further troubleshooting steps: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jerankin2
Binge Watcher

Re: YouTube app and loss of * key during playback

Carly, I can get right to the crux of my issue with the following two links to separate YouTube videos. Video 1 plays with the * button disabled. I am unable to access the TV Settings menu.

Video 2 plays with the * button enabled, and the TV Settings menu is available.

I don't recall playing YouTube videos and losing the * button in the past. Do you get similar results on these videos?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.