Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amelia70
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

I bought a voice streaming stick +4k for my college son in late august 2021. He complained that he needed to change batteries daily starting in February 2022. We’ve tried every trouble shooting scenario and it continues to drain batteries daily. However. the batteries seem to work on tv remote so it’s just the roku remote that is problematic. I’ve been promised a new remote but they claim they are out of stock. If this is true it’s because so many people have the same issue. At some point I think switching to Amazon fire stick may be the only resolution. Really sad such a great product otherwise. FYI I have three other streaming sticks that work well. Seems like just certain models have the defect. 

0 Kudos
Sana
Binge Watcher

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

Powering it through a wall outlet does not help the battery derange issue! My remote is having the same issue and the device was always connect to a wall outlet. 

0 Kudos
Amelia70
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Dozens having same problem it’s a problem with remote

this is what we’re doing until we get a replacement

after each use take out batteries

when you put on roku put back batteries see if it works and also go to settlings remote and check battery strength

if it does not work take out batteries and unplug roku wait 10 seconds then plug in roku and put back batteries see if it syncs if not open battery and press sync button until green light flashes wait to see syncing message on tv 

this works for us we do this each time now we use roku 

hope this helps

these remotes are defective 

0 Kudos
Sana
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is the company providing you with a replacement remote or are you paying for a new one? 

0 Kudos
DawnC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I was told they would replace, when it didn't come I inquired and they said they were out of stock.  I looked on the website and they are selling them so they are lying.  I think we should all band together and do something about these terrrible business practices.  There is no way to reach a person at this company to my knowledge.  I think they are just ripping us off.  It is a defective product.  It seems like it's been going on for years.  

0 Kudos
DawnC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If the remotes are defective it is up the company to fix the problem.  It should not be up to the consumer to go through hoops when they are selling a defective product and they know it because looking at all the posts it looks like this has been going on for YEARS.  

0 Kudos
Naomigd
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing is happening to so many - myself included.  I am disappointed that Roku's response to us was that it wasn't under warranty anymore.   If you know it is defective, just have good customer service and replace it.  

We just bought a Firestick to replace it - it was the same cost as buying a new remote for the Roku!!  

0 Kudos
Amelia70
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Google roku factory reset it won’t do any good I posted a temporary solution check it out 

Amelia70
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same happened to me this is defective and they won’t own up to it they should do a recall of them but they won’t just be persistent I posted a temporary solution

slso there is no way to know if a replacement won’t stop working in a few months either I have three that are fine and my sons is bad 

really disappointed next time I go fire stick by Amazon 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

Hi @ambika,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

In regards to your Roku remote rapidly draining issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings > System > About

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support
Follow the steps below from your Roku device to perform a factory reset.

1. Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. Select Factory reset everything and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary