Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Same problem here. I have had this Streaming Stick + for just under two months and have had to replace batteries for the third time today. This is outrageous. Is there a solve or can a non-draining remote me sent to me please? I can provide info in private. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Dead-batteries
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fixed my problem,  returned it!

0 Kudos
Pamelaj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Oh my.  I am having the exact issue.  I see many other people are as well. Hope a solution is coming soon.  

0 Kudos
glencove
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't have any tech support.  Great product but lousy tech support.  The fix is do a factory reset

glencove
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That doesn't work, you have to do a factory reset.  No offense but the tech support is terrible.  Navigating the community site is even worse.  For a big company I am very surprised for the lack of customer support.

TheNewEnglander
Reel Rookie

RE: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

I have been replacing batteries in my RC-EL1 with a fresh set of Duracell batteries about once every 7-10 days.

I have had the stick for approximately 3 months and I have replaced the batteries at least 6 times.

The remote is paired to a 3810RW Roku Streaming Stick+ running 9.4.0 build 4200-50

I have made sure the remote is parked in a location that is undisturbed (as suggested in a thread in this forum), and there is no jack on the remote for accessories.

The only thing that has helped extend the battery life is removing the batteries from the remote every time I turn the roku off, and I would verify this by viewing the battery info in settings>remotes & devices>Remotes>voice remote>About - "battery level: xxx%".

When removing batteries daily, the percentage of a fresh set of batteries was 100%, when checked every other day with daily use of 2-4 hours of "on time".

When leaving the batteries installed all the time and use of 2-4 hours of "on time", after 7-8 days the percentage was 40% and in the next day or two the batteries would be dead.

The last recommendation here to, "power the stick through a wall outlet", is impractical.

I will have to purchase additionally; a USB power adapter plug, a 10ft USB cable to reach all the way up the wall into the stick, and a power strip so I can have an extra wall outlet for the adapter.

Cost of Roku Streaming Stick+ $49.99 (based on what I already paid).

or

Cost of Roku Remote $13.99

or (per the recommendation of Roku)

Cost of quality USB wall charger $14.99

Cost of quality USB 10' cable $13.99

Cost of quality power strip $24.99

TOTAL = $53.97

I am disappointed to see this recommendation being made to the consumer,  while "engineering figures this out".

Any logical person can read into this and see that the [intended or unintended] resulting action would be to buy a new remote and hope it's not a dud or buy a whole new system with the same hopes.

Is this the "warranty policy"?

glencove
Binge Watcher

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

do a factory reset and that should solve your problem.

TheNewEnglander
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

This solution did not work for me when attempted a month ago, is there a new firmware? version info?

My system says it's current.

0 Kudos
beatle14
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.  I want to ensure you're tracking that my problem is with the TV remote...that I hold in my hand.  Not the stick that plugs into the HDMI & USB ports.  Thanks.

pleiva

Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

We are powering our stick with the wall plug and our batteries still only last two days.  We ordered rechargeable batteries for that reason, and when I replaced them yesterday and plugged the used ones in to charge, I noticed that only one of the batteries was completely drained.  Thought perhaps that might be a clue.  Unfortunately I didn't notice which side that particular battery was on but I will be sure to take note when I change them again tomorrow.  Love the stick, but really hoping for a resolution on the battery life.  Thanks!