Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treasuredphotos
Channel Surfer

Why can I not get my remote to pair?

Jump to solution

My voice remote just stopped today.  I have tried everything that I could find on this site and nothing works.  I even told the unit to forget the voice remote.  I try to add a new remote but it will not pair.  When I look at the setting and look at the remotes, I will see 2 remotes.  I can even see the battery level.  The model says it is an RC691 with a firmware version of rtn4246.  The Mac address is BC:D7:D4:80:8f:f9.  I started with new batteries and the battery level started at 100%, now it is 94%.  So, I know it knows there is a remote.  Why is it that it will not pair?  Does this mean that this remote is shot?  I bought a new remote because this remote was constantly losing the pairing.  I was using this remote earlier in the day with no problems.  I had to go to town and when I got back this remote would not see the unit.  It could turn the set on and off and control the volume, just not the Roku device.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why can I not get my remote to pair?

Jump to solution

Hey @treasuredphotos,

Thanks a bunch for keeping us in the loop!

We appreciate your efforts and the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Please be advised that the Roku voice remote sometimes needs a little adjustment and a good signal to work properly. If you're still having trouble with it, grab a free Roku HDMI extender from our Roku page, "HDMI extender," and give it a shot. This could help resolve the issue and improve the connection with your remote.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @treasuredphotos!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop; we really appreciate it! Could you please try these steps on How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote and let us know if they fix the issue? If not, just reply to the thread, and we'll be happy to help further.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@treasuredphotos The on/off and volume are TV controls.  Since you can not control the Roku device you are correct in that your remote is not paired to your Roku device.  Try unplugging the power to the Roku device for about 30 seconds.  When you plug the Roku device back into power you should be able to pair the remote.  

0 Kudos
treasuredphotos
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You said:

Try unplugging the power to the Roku device for about 30 seconds.  When you plug the Roku device back into power you should be able to pair the remote.  

I tried that more than once, but it still would not pair.  I even told the unit to forget the voice remote and then tried to add a new remote but it will not pair. 

That was yesterday, today I just told it to add a new remote.  I do not understand, today it did pair and it is working now.  I have tried everything that I have seen on this site and it would not work.  Now, all of a sudden it worked today.  If I did not have a spare remote I would not have been able to watch anything last night.  Why does this remote keep losing the pairing?

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @treasuredphotos,

Thanks a bunch for keeping us in the loop!

We appreciate your efforts and the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Please be advised that the Roku voice remote sometimes needs a little adjustment and a good signal to work properly. If you're still having trouble with it, grab a free Roku HDMI extender from our Roku page, "HDMI extender," and give it a shot. This could help resolve the issue and improve the connection with your remote.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
treasuredphotos
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is already on an extender.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @treasuredphotos!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop; we really appreciate it! Could you please try these steps on How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote and let us know if they fix the issue? If not, just reply to the thread, and we'll be happy to help further.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.