Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice remote pro won't charge

Jump to solution

Hi @kristineklein28,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) that is paired with your Roku Voice Remote Pro and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
TorrentFiend
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just posting to give others hope here I guess. Today my replacement Roku remote arrived in the mail. Paired up fine, appears to be charging fine. Hopefully this one will be problem free. I noticed it's the same model as the remote that came with my Roku Ultra which is model number RC 795. I can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure the model I had problems with was something like RC538 perhaps? That's probably wrong but for others trying to get assistance you have to be very clear with the technical information so they can verify what you have, probably diagnose based on what you have whether it's one of the remotes they had problems with, etc to prove whether it needs replaced.

Be very clear with the information you have and try to provide all the necessary information they need from their end to get you a replacement if that's what is needed.

I'm glad to say my faith in Roku has been restored since they replaced it and made it right. Good luck to everyone else. You have to do your part and give them clear accurate information so that they can do theirs. Look under Settings > About for your serial number, under settings look under the remote section to get the info they might need about the remote you are having issues with. Be specific about the model of the remote you are having problems with etc. It does give a model number if you look.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
oztrich
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is distressing to see 24 pages of this same problem when one comes to troubleshoot an issue with a Roku product. I'm now experiencing this problem (won't charge/won't hold a charge), along with the Voice Remote Pro power/volume buttons intermittently not working (after a pushed software update). I've posted on that thread separately. In fact, that problem led me to discover THIS problem. I thought maybe the remote wasn't working for volume/power due to the battery being "low".  The battery was at 24% so I put it on the charger overnight. The next day, I unplugged it and went about my day. Later that evening, I checked the battery and it was again (still?) at 24%. I again tried to charge the remote overnight. I checked to insure the green light was blinking when I went to bed. Today, still at 24%. I tried a different charger in the same room as my Roku receiver. It showed it was charging and got up to 31%. I unplugged it, took it back to the original charger. It's not in the same room but the Roku unit still sees it connected. Suddenly, it was back to 24% (but not showing as charging). I have it charging again, in the same room and it got up to 31%. I unplugged it, went to the Home screen, started Amazon Prime, immediately exited out, back to Settings and checked the battery level again. It's already down to 27%, in less than a minute! 

Previously to this, I've only had to charge this remote probably less than 10 times since I purchased the unit over in Oct 2021. I have always been impressed at how well it's held a charge...until now.

PS: In the time it took to type this last paragraph, the remote is already down to 24%. Something is definitely wrong...and seeing 24 pages of reports, I'm very confident that it's nothing that I've done or not done.

*Voice Remote Pro RC701

Firmware - rtn.4186

*Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821X 

SN: X01700FGUFRX

Software version 11.5.0 •build 4312-CU

Device ID S09T419GUFRX

0 Kudos
TorrentFiend
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is interesting that different models are having different problems. You mentioned it not charging despite seeing a green light. The problem I had with mine was I didn't see any green light at all. You said you are using RC 701.... The version I had issues with was RC 538 for the model number...... After opening a couple of remotes troubleshooting this issue I've seen very minor design differences inside as far as the little springy plastic piece they used to use with the pairing button to make contact with the board, it appears later they changed the design slightly to be a solid piece that would more firmly press the pairing button eliminating the need for the extra tiny springy piece.... Other than some very minor plastic pieces with the way things are clipped most of the design and the board itself and the battery look to be identical. For anyone who is having problems with it charging unfortunately there's nothing that can be gained by opening up the remote so I wouldn't advise it, also it's quite tricky to open in the first place as the case basically clips to itself very tightly. It's quite a chore to even crack it open, not worth it for the average user but at one point I did so to check out the battery since it wouldn't charge at all. I discovered a couple of interesting things but unfortunately nothing resolved the issue.... It still wouldn't charge. When connecting a battery of another Roku remote to the bad remotes board it did bring it back to life again so the problem was clearly with the battery or the charging port that charges the battery...... I would only advise this for those who perhaps gave up on the remote since it wasn't working, unpaired it in the past, and need to re pair it to get the necessary technical info needed for a replacement. About a year ago when it would not charge I actually unpaired it which created a problem now trying to get help for a replacement because it wasn't listed on the device anymore. Obviously this means they have no proof you own the remote if they can't see it listed on your device. I was panicked because if I can't pair the device because the battery is dead how can I prove the remote is giving me problems? I had to figure out a way to pair the device with my Roku again so I could prove the problem was happening.  I temporarily borrowed the battery power of one that was working to pair it so they can verify the dead remote existed, the dead remote was dead so I couldn't pair it and I improvised.... I'm pretty sure most people on this forum already have it paired with their device though so this won't be necessary. Fortunately opening a working remote and clipping its battery to the dead remote brought it to life so I could stand in front of the TV holding two remotes in my hand with one battery clipped to the other to activate pairing mode so it could be listed on my device as paired then I just put both remotes back together again and still had a fully dead remote but at least the technical information was now listed on the Roku to get further assistance...... I just needed a power source so it could be paired as there was no way to charge it when it was dead.  Moral of the story I guess is don't be fast to unpair a remote if you think it's dead. Keep it on the list because you might need that technical info as I did.

The two remotes I currently have that appear to be quite stable now is the RC795 model. Based on what people have posted here it appears they may have had various quality control issues with specifically whether it charges properly or not with previous models. Perhaps some people saw a green light, others like my case saw no light at all..... Currently my remotes charge properly where the light blinks while it's charging and then remains solid once it's fully charged. Out of paranoia because of this problem I made sure both remotes are 100% charged at the moment to give me more life from them in case of future issues which I hope do not happen.

Hopefully those have all been resolved now and the current line of products is much more stable.

Good luck getting a replacement. I'm not sure how many different model versions were having these issues but it does appear it was more than one version of the remote. The model number seems to be the primary indicator. I'm guessing anyone with RC 795 model remote is probably not experiencing these issues now, as that seems to be the stable working version of The Voice remote Pro.

0 Kudos
nwebbe
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The box my Voice Remote Pro came in doesn't have contain the serial number.  I found the serial number on the back but its very faint and I think I got the numbers correct. The serial number is 3226001117 for my Voice Remote Pro, the model is RC701.  The firmware version is rtn.4186.

0 Kudos
oztrich
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F 

Hi, this is a followup post from yesterday. I've tried to charge my voice pro remote overnight but it never gets over 31%. As soon as I unplug it, it goes down to 29%. By the time I add and re-pair the remote (just for grins), I get a warning that the battery level is less than 10%. Immediately going to settings, it shows 4%. This was in less than a 10 min period, probably closer to 5 min. I've listed all the relevant info in my previous post but there's been no response, here or by email. I see others who don't list the model/sn number get a response to do so. Should I open a support ticket instead?

Please advise. Here's my info again.

Voice Remote Pro RC701

Firmware - rtn.4186

*Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821X 

SN: X01700FGUFRX

Software version 11.5.0 •build 4312-CU

Device ID S09T419GUFRX

0 Kudos
greeknasty
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

FWIW roku sent me a replacement only a week after I contacted them.  Thanks for the prompt shipping.

They contacted me via email asking details and i gave them all the details.

Thanks again Roku for coming thru.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @oztrich,

Thanks for following up.

I've passed along your concerns to our Support team. If you don't hear from them within the next 1-2 business days, please feel free to reach out again and I'll make sure you are taken care of.

We appreciate your patience for the time being.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
nwebbe
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F 

The box my Voice Remote Pro came in doesn't have contain the serial number. I found the serial number on the back but its very faint and I think I got the numbers correct. The serial number is 3226001117 for my Voice Remote Pro, the model is RC701. The firmware version is rtn.4186.

0 Kudos
FSUPuck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Double Post, please delete

0 Kudos