Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Remote resets itself when volume button used

The volume and mute buttons on my Voice Remote worked perfectly for months.

After a recent battery swap, not only do they no longer work, but using them forces the remote to briefly stop working. Then the Remote Control/Full Battery icon appears in the top right as if the remote power cycled and the remote works again. 

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice Remote resets itself when volume button used

Hi @noahramseysmith,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're more than happy to assist you with your remote. Please make sure your remote is paired to your Roku so it can control it. Check out this link here on how to pair your remote to your Roku. After your remote is paired, please try these steps below to fix the issue on your remote and to re-set it up:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & Devices.
  3. Select Remotes, followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up the remote for TV control.

After doing so, please try to restart the system by pressing the Home button on your remote, then go to Settings, System, Power, and System Restart. You can also check out this link here for why your Roku remote is not controlling the power or volume on the TV.
Warm regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
zeotherm

I just wanted to chime in that I am experiencing the exact same issue. I have attempted all the troubleshooting steps recommended—re-pair remote, software update, reboot system and nothing changes the behavior. If I attempt to use the volume, mute, or TV power button my remote seems to go through a power cycle and is unusable until it comes back and I get a pop up on my TV showing a full battery charge. It will work fine—until I try to change volume or mute or power cycle the TV again. 

when going through the wizard for pairing the remote via IR, as it tries to determine the appropriate signal to communicate with my (correctly identified Vizio) TV, the same behavior happens

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @zeotherm,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for reaching out about this remote issue.

We'll have reinforcement from our Support team for further assistance. Please keep an eye on your email address, as they will reach you from there.

Please get back to us and let us know how things turn out.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DarthKirby

I was having the same problem. I changed the setup to CEC HDMI control and it's working now. Hopefully it will stay fixed.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.