Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobInNashville
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote Suddenly Dead

My Voice Remote controller has performed flawlessly for several years, up to this morning. I went out for a few hours, returned, hit the Power button as usual. Again as usual, my home screen came into view, with all my channels displayed. But now, when I tried to scroll to one of those channels, nothing happened. No scrolling, no volume control, completely nothing. I replaced the AA batteries; no change. Unplugged the streaming device, counter to 10, plugged back in; no luck. I checked my Account to see if I'd missed a payment; turns out I'm up to date. And now the Power button has stopped working, so no TV at all. Suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Voice Remote Suddenly Dead

Your account has absolutely nothing to do with the remote working or not.  The TV controls (power and volume) have nothing to do with the Roku controls - one set of controls can work while the other doesn't.  Try pairing the remote again - disconnect the power to the Roku device and then press and hold the pairing button on the back or inside the battery compartment until the light on the remote starts flashing (if there's no pairing button, press and hold the two buttons at the top of the remote - Home and Back).  Once the light is flashing, reconnect the power.  If it's a Roku TV, turn it on with the power button (all TVs have a power button somewhere).  It should restart and pair to the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
BobInNashville
Reel Rookie

After unplugging the device & finding no Pairing button, I pressed the Home & Back buttons as you advised. After about 20 seconds of simultaneous pressing with no result whatsoever, I gave up. If only I could talk or chat with a Roku rep in real time!

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @BobInNashville,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We have passed along your concern to the Support Roku team. Please check your email from time to time since they will follow up and assist you further.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.
Best regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BS57

I also have a dead voice remote.  With new batteries I press the pairing button for 10 seconds or more and the status light will not illuminate at all.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BS57,

Thanks for sharing the experience you've had with this remote issue. We're happy to help.

As per checking, you have multiple Roku devices. May we know for what specific Roku device this remote pairs with? Also, you can send us a PM here, as we may need personal information to resolve this issue.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BS57

Roku Express 4K+.  Model # 3941X

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @BS57!

We'd be happy to see options for you. Could you tell us if this is the remote that came along with the device? If so, send us a PM with the device serial number. This can usually be found at the back of the device.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos