Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainBabe
Reel Rookie

Using tv remote after canceling dish

Canceled dish and cannot get tv remote to open Roku.  Have Insignia tv and roku express hooked up with hdmi.  I get no signal on tv and have tv set to correct input.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using tv remote after canceling dish

Your TV remote cannot control the Roku. There are some universal IR remotes on the market that could control both your TV and Roku, but the factory remotes for both your TV and Roku will not control each other.

If you're not seeing your Roku on the correct TV input, then you have other issues. If your Express is connected to the TV USB port for power, instead use the power cube it came with and plug it directly into an outlet.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MountainBabe
Reel Rookie

I think you misunderstood.   I am plugged into wall outlet.  Am on hdmi.  I need to know why I get no signal message on tv using tv remote and it doesn't go to Roku.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

After selecting the correct input with the TV remote, you may need to press a button like Home on the Roku remote to wake the Roku up.  (If you find that annoying you can turn off the feature in settings.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've already explained. The TV remote will not control the Roku at all. I understand you're getting a no signal message on your TV. My power suggestion was to ensure your Roku was getting sufficient power to turn on. Now that we've established that, the next issue is the HDMI connection. Make sure the cable is completely inserting into both the Roku and the TV. Double-check the port ID you're using on the TV (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.), and then make sure you have switched to the correct input number. If you still see nothing from your Roku, do you have another TV you can test the Roku on to make sure it's working correctly? Sometimes even brand new electronic devices can fail, and if that has happened you need to return it and get a replacement. 

I would recommend paying a bit more and getting the Express 4K+ compared to the basic Express. Even if your TV isn't 4K, it's just a better player all around.

Dan

0 Kudos
MountainBabe
Reel Rookie

What do I need to do in settings and is this for settings on Roku remote or tv remote?  What will this accomplish?  Thanks for a reply.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

In Roku you can go to Settings -> System -> Auto Power Savings and uncheck the option, if you find that feature to be annoying, confusing, or buggy.  The eliminates one potential way of getting nothing when you turn on your TV.

(The feature works for me, but some people find the need for an extra button press to be annoying, and I've read that for some people, it doesn't seem to wake up at all - though I can't tell for sure if they are really pressing a button such as home - a button like power will not do it since those only control the TV.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MountainBabe wrote:

What do I need to do in settings and is this for settings on Roku remote or tv remote?  What will this accomplish?  Thanks for a reply.

Any settings mentioned here would be Roku specific. And the settings are in the Roku device menu, not anything on the TV. When using the TV remote, you can make changes to the TV, such as selecting the correct HDMI input. But nothing you do with the TV remote will change anything on the Roku.

Once you have everything set up, (and I really hope I don't add to your confusion here), there's something called CEC that offers a tiny bit of control of one device using a different device. With your Express, the only function that will be available is the ability of the Roku to switch your TV to the correct input when you press the Home button on the Roku remote. Under the Roku Settings menu that's called One-Touch Play. But it also depends on your TV supporting CEC, and that's not a given on every TV.

Dan

0 Kudos