Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stavman
Reel Rookie

Universal remote for 6 TV's/sticks?

With YouTube taking over NFL Sunday Ticket, I'll be streaming my 6tvs next year so trying to figure out how. 

With 6 wifi style Roku Sticks , is there a Universal remote that can operate each TV independently? Or is this even possible with Roku Sticks.

I understand they can't be each IR sticks, but must be WiFi Sticks

Thanks all

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Universal remote for 6 TV's/sticks?

Not sure if there are any 3rd party Roku compatible remotes that work on RF.

0 Kudos
Stavman
Reel Rookie

No..not wanting RF wanting Wifi, I know RF won't work per my post

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The only WiFi way is through the Roku app on a phone or tablet. You can give each Roku a unique name and select between them. Not sure if you can control a TV that way, though.

0 Kudos
Stavman
Reel Rookie

See that's why I think you could use a Univ Remote

If u can pick between any of say 6 Roku Sticks (not TV's) on the app, it must be possible thru a remote, at least my mind says that...lol

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Roku likes their minimalist remotes.  Some people want them to add numbers, but they haven’t even wanted to do that.  A single remote for many Rokus seems unlikely to happen to me as that seems like a very obscure case, but anything could happen, and they could be working on some new remote right now, but won’t tell us until they’re ready. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Roku remotes use RF and/or IR. The RF does use the WiFi band, but is not normal WiFi. When using RF, they are paired to a particular Roku. I think you might be able to pair one remote for multiple Roku's, but then it will control all at the same time.

The only way to individually control Roku's is either with individually paired RF remotes, or through the app. There may be some 3rd party apps that offer some control (like Google Home), but again, that would be through a phone or tablet.

I don't know of any 3rd party hand-held remotes that support RF for the Roku. There is only one IR code, so it would control any non-stick Roku that is in sight.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Stavman-

The alternative suggested by @andyross of using the Roku remote app on a phone is probably your best bet.  This works through your home network, not a remote-to-Roku wifi-direct connection, so it can access all Rokus on your home network and allow you to switch among them.  The switch requires a couple of key presses -- you'd have to decide if you find this more or less cumbersome than juggling six dedicated remotes.

(And yes, Andy, you can control a Roku TV that way too..  😊)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The only universal remote I'm aware of that could control a stick was the now defunct Harmony Hub which operated much like the app in how it controls a Roku device.  There are several Roku remote apps in the various app stores that could probably do it, but no handheld remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos