Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drkjoy

Unable to "Wake TV" w/app on devices (no Roku remote)

I recently lost my Roku remote to my 55" Hisense 4K Roku TV, but I was able to use the Roku app to still use the TV. However, now the TV doesn't show up/connect to my devices--it doesn't wake up. Even when I power it on by using the power button, it still won't connect to any device I have with Roku app.

I don't want to have to purchase another remote just to wake this thing up. I've tried troubleshooting recommendations, but to no avail. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to "Wake TV" w/app on devices (no Roku remote)

Replacement remote is only option I think.  Not that expensive (compatible via eBay, or voice remote pro).

Not that expensive, maybe a couple of pizza's at most.

Not a Roku employee
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The Roku app on a mobile device should see any Roku (tv or separate Roku device) that is connected to the same local network to which your mobile device is connected.  If your Roku TV has lost its connection to your local net the app won't see it.

For the most part using a remote is the best way to reestablish the Roku's net connection, but here are some things to try:

• To use the Roku app on your mobile device, be sure your mobile device is connected to your local wifi network.
  • If your TV connects to your network via WiFi (not a direct wired Ethernet connection):
    On your mobile device, or on your router, check your wifi connection to see what wifi channel is being used.  Rokus can use channels 1-11 in the 2.4 GHz wifi band and channels 36-48 and 149-165 in the 5 GHz band. Be sure your router is set to use one of these channels and not an auto setting that could set a channel outside these ranges..
  • Restart your router, even if other devices we are connecting okay.
  • Restart your TV by unplugging the power plug for a minute or so (merely turning the set off and on will not give a complete restart).

If none of these get you going you'll need a remote. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
TeaSea

Unpugging and plugging back in worked for me.  You do not have to try everything listed just 1 was needed for me.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Some Roku devices has a power setting that puts the TV in a low power mode, very similar to many devices "off" mode. Settings > System > Power

Again, not all devices have a setting such as that, but for those that do, turning the functionality off may make the Roku respond to app based remotes better.

Also, be aware that if your Roku ever disconnects from the network, or if you change your network, you will need a physical remote to reconnect to the network. You cannot use the app to set up a Roku device on a network.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Iconsee99
Reel Rookie

I didn’t have the actual remote so this is what I had to do to resolve this:

- Power off both wifi and TV (not sure both are necessary but I did both)

- Turn on TV once Wifi is up ( I was able to power on TV with the Roku app)

- Go into Settings —> System —> Power —> Enable Fast TV Start

My app remote has worked fine ever since. I did have to restart wifi and TV once more after changing the setting but you might not have to

0 Kudos