Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Old-Bill
Roku Guru

Roku's response to complaints of remotes no longer pairing with TVs

Jump to solution

Since joining this community a week ago because my Roku remote that had been controlling my TV quit working after updating the software on my Roku, I've read lots of similar complaints. It appears there was a major bug in the software update. I have not noticed what, if anything, worked better after the update.

I stumbled across one post by the Forum Moderator, Roku employee Danny R, saying a patch was available. Unfortunately the patch didn't help me.

First, as stated, I stumbled across the solution. Roku should search the forum for everyone having this problem and send them a direct email announcing the release. They haven't. They wait for customers to come back, stumble across the one post where the solution was posted, and fix it themselves. The people who never come back and look at other posts will never find it.

Second, as a former military computer programmer, I've issued software with bugs that we couldn't "recall." But what we did do was re-issue the last, best version that did not cause the new problem. I'd be happy with that.

Reading over other posts, people first tried purchasing new Roku equipment to fix the problem (I bought a new upgraded remote). Then I noticed people saying they were returning Roku equipment and going to other brands.

It's clearly time for Roku to step up, accept responsibility, admit there was a problem, it was their fault, apologize, and fix it. If it can't be fixed, allow us to re-install the software that worked. Please take a proactive approach. Your low keyed approach relying largely on forum members to solve problems isn't working on this issue. You're going to lose more customers.

If enough people "kudo" this post with a "thumbs up," Roku may notice and act.

Thank you.

Old-Bill

Lare0213
Reel Rookie

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

@JayKay99 You helped me more than Roku customer service has! I tried the Samsung codes for my Sharp TV and code 10 actually worked! I appreciate your post!

0 Kudos
Catyfooch
Reel Rookie

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

TV controls still not working after system update, attempt to set up remote, system restart and reattempt to set up remote

Roku device model - 3810X Roku streaming stick +

serial number - YH00A3942130

device ID - 2139AA942130

software OS/version - 10.0.0 build 4198-50

TV brand and model number - Vizio D43-D2

VAR
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

kyohejr

my remote’s volume control  isn’t functioning either. My Vizio, which may have been built by Samsung ,is not supported . I have 5 Roku devices between 2 properties  thankfully only 1 has lost volume control which I use a Roku premier with an up dated remote model RC 399

0 Kudos
Tim15

Jump to solution

-Roku device model
3810EU

-serial number
YH00GP10277

-device ID
23502G102177

-software OS/version
10.0.0 build 4195-50

-remote model
RC494

-TV brand and model number
Samsung Series 7 and Sony STR-DE695 Amp which is the only thing that controls the audio. I don't want to control the TV

Old-Bill
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Please post more information and updates.

kyohejr
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@VAR The part I wasn't understanding was how people were able to choose their TV make (e.g. Sharp, Samsung, etc.)  I was able to get to that input screen by clicking through the 50 Samsung codes until it failed, then clicking "Try Again" brings up the screen to type in the make.  I tried the Sharp codes and a few other brands but no success so far.  I'm trying figure out which codes my Samsung TV actually needs so I can find a different brand that has similar codes.  I'm looking at http://www.getzweb.net/jp1/ but I haven't figured out which protocol and EFCs actually work for my TV.  

M1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku's response to complaints of remotes no longer pairing with TVs

Jump to solution

So, what/where is the solution?

M1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I lost much more that what you are talking about. I cannot access any of the Roku functions. Since I cannot access Roku with my remote what would you suggest I do? I love my Roku and this is making me very unhappy!!!

Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku's response to complaints of remotes no longer pairing with TVs

Jump to solution

Like most forums, this one has some preferences you can set such as sending email notices about threads you have posted in.  Or you can subscribe to individual threads.  I wouldn't expect Roku to violate those settings  (For example, I like my forums to stay forums – and not cause me to get emails so I turn that stuff off.)

I think the yellow bar across all their support pages telling you to go here is reasonably aggressive.  (That wasn't there a few days ago, but I don't think they had an answer then.)

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.