Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Two separate remotes for the same Roku Express?

Jump to solution

@JudyJames-

Yeah, the side with the power LED should be the front of the Roku.

Do you have a make and model number of the IR remote you purchased?  Maybe a link to a website?

Of course, you could have purchased a dud remote that just doesn't work.  If you point it at nearly any digital camera (the one in a cell phone will do) and watch in the camera view screen it should show you a glowing spot at the end of the remote when you push a button if it is sending an IR signal.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@makaiguy this is the remote I bought:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B094XHL473?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I could test it out, but I've already packed it up to return, and ordered a couple of others to try, including the OEM Voice Remote.  I don't think it was sending, because I was only about 6 feet from the Roku and aiming it directly at it when I tried it.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JudyJames-

Yeah, that is a Roku-only remote that should work with any Roku device except the Streaming Stick models (they are typically used behind the tv where IR can't reach so they don't even have IR sensors).

So it sounds like you got a dud.  Send that **bleep** back.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@makaiguy Yep, that's the plan.  I may check out the other two similar ones that I ordered, but I'm thinking my best bet will be the OEM one with wifi, assuming I'm smart enough to get it paired correctly.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I took @makaiguy 's advice and returned the defective remote.  Ordered another cheap IR one as well as an OEM Roku Voice Remote.  Both work just fine, and pairing the OEM one was easy.  Now we have remotes on both end tables in the family room, plus the IR unit that can move back & forth between family room and bedroom Rokus.

Thanks to everyone to responded to my question.