Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Two separate remotes for the same Roku Express?

Jump to solution

Will the Roku Express 4k+ respond to two different remotes?  Before we had Roku, we had a universal remote on each end table, and didn't have to chase one remote around the room.  I ordered a non-OEM replacement remote from Amazon, hoping it would co-exist with the original, but it doesn't work.  They also have an OEM remote that I'm willing to order, but wanted to check first to see if anyone else is using more than one remote in the same room.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Re: Two separate remotes for the same Roku Express?

Jump to solution

I took @makaiguy 's advice and returned the defective remote.  Ordered another cheap IR one as well as an OEM Roku Voice Remote.  Both work just fine, and pairing the OEM one was easy.  Now we have remotes on both end tables in the family room, plus the IR unit that can move back & forth between family room and bedroom Rokus.

Thanks to everyone to responded to my question.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is it an IR remote or an RF remote?  I thought all non-OEM remotes were IR, meaning you can have thousands of them and the receiving device can't even tell one from another.  Of course, this is assuming it's an appropriate remote with a Roku player codeset and not a Roku TV codeset.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, you can have more than  one remote control the express at the same time. Remember the original express 4k+ is wifi, so it can control the Roku even when it's buried behind a tv. Where a cheap universal remote controls the Roku by IR, it will need a clear line of sight to the Roku for the IR commands can reach. Or just buy a second wifi Roku remote from walmart or best buy. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response!

The cheap remote I bought is IR, but didn't work even when aimed directly at the Roku from just a few feet away.  I wasn't aware that the express 4k+ operates by wifi, so I'm assuming that my best bet is to buy the OEM $20 voice remote even though we never use the voice option?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The express can use both IR and Wi-Fi remotes.  (All current Rokus except "stick" models can use IR remotes if you wish.)

What remote did you buy?  Note there is a difference between a Roku and a Roku TV on IR codes.

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What I bought was an $8 IR remote labeled specifically for the Express 4k+, and clearly labeled NOT for the Roku TV.  I posted my question because I brought a Roku remote from another room, and it didn't work on the target Roku, either, but it did turn on the one in the other room.

I had seen a couple of reviews complaining that it didn't work, but the reviews were 4.5/5 overall.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The one from the other room may be a wi-fi remote that is paired with a different Roku.

The IR remote could be defective.  Of course, this is really basic but check the battery orientation too - they do vary between models.  (Some have the positives both pointing the same way which people don't expect.)

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JudyJames--

Unlike infrared (IR) signals, wifi signals can go through walls.  That remote "from another room" still working with the other room's Roku indicates it is a wifi remote that is paired to that other Roku.  Wifi remotes will only control the unit to which they are paired. A second wifi remote (one of the Voice Remote models in the current product line) should control your new Express 4K+, once it is PAIRED to that unit.

But we may yet be able to get that cheap IR remote to work.

Couple of questions.  I apologize up front if these are too basic, but I have to ask:

Do you have the FRONT of the Express 4K+ facing out into the room, in a direct line of sight from the IR remote's location?  The Express' IR sensor is in the unit's front face.

Is there some setting ON THE REMOTE that must be set for it to know to send Roku IR commands instead of some other command set?  Check the documentation for the remote, you may have to set it to some specific code number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Strega You're right, the one from the other room is paired with a different Roku.  

You're right about the battery orientation, too, I was surprised to note that both positives were on the same end when I loaded them.

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@makaiguy I just learned in this discussion about the original remotes using wifi, so I assume that once I get the OEM remote that I've just ordered, I'll have to pair it to the target Roku.

As for the cheap IR remote, I made the assumption that the IR sensor is on the same side of the unit as the power indicator light, with the cables connecting in the back.  If that's correct, then yes, I was aiming at the front.

There's no settings at all on the IR remote, the description specifically says that it will automatically work as soon as the batteries are installed.  There was also no meaningful documentation, I assume because it's supposed to be so simple.

0 Kudos