Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kodyk

Trying to pair remote but remote wont pair

I just bought a replacement remote due to buying my tv from a family friend and the tv not coming with its original remote. I've followed the steps and my tv will show a pairing screen. After a couple of seconds the tv makes a noise but the remote doesn't pair. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Trying to pair remote but remote wont pair

Hello! @Kodyk,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching out to us regarding pairing your Roku remote. We are delighted to help.

Your voice remote and streaming device must be in pairing mode at the same time to complete the pairing process. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Follow the steps in the "Reboot your streaming device" section above and then perform the appropriate step below to put your remote in pairing mode.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and home button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

When your streaming device finds your voice remote, an on-screen confirmation message will appear.

You can use the Roku mobile app to control your streaming device while you are troubleshooting your voice remote.

Refer to the article on how to pair your Roku voice remote for more detailed instructions on the pairing process.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have a similar question/ I received a new remote because my original one stopped working.

the new remote will flash like it’s trying to pair but does not.

my streaming stick works with the remote app on my phone.

why wont the remote pair?

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ellenanddave,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for bringing to our attention that the new Roku remote is not pairing with your Roku Streaming Stick. We are more than happy to assist you with this.

Before we proceed can you first let us know the model of your new Roku remote, if it's a Roku Voice RemoteRoku Voice Remote Pro, or Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)?

In the meantime, we suggest you to try this troubleshooting steps that can help you to resolve the issue:

Reboot your Roku voice remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, use the following steps to reboot your remote by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote:

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home for 20 seconds.

When the status light stops flashing your rechargeable voice remote has successfully rebooted.

Reboot your Streaming device

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV
  5. Once you see the Home screen, try to use your remote to control your device

Using your Roku Mobile App, check for software updates on your streaming devices

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Software update
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates

After checking the Software Update, Re-pair your Voice Remote to your Streaming device

Your voice remote and streaming device must be in pairing mode at the same time to complete the pairing process. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Follow the steps in the "Reboot your streaming device" section above and then perform the appropriate step below to put your remote in pairing mode.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

When your streaming device finds your voice remote, an on-screen confirmation message will appear.

For reference, you can visit our support article: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions.

Thanks,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.