Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomS31

TV will not stay turned off

Jump to solution

I have multiple Rokus on TVs but only have this problem on one. The power button on the remote will turn the Samsung TV on but will not turn it off.  Actually, it goes off for a second then comes back on.  We have to unplug the box every time we want to turn off the set.  

what do I need to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JC38

Re: TV will not stay turned off

Jump to solution

Was having the same problem with Samsung Q70 series tv not staying turned off using either the tv remote or the Roku Ultra 4K (small tabletop box) remote. The tv will turn off for one second or two and then turn itself back on again. 

Brand new Samsung Q70 tv literally just delivered today (17Jul24). Our Roku Ultra 4K box is approx 1yr old and worked fine with our 10 year old Samsung tv. 

I tried numerous suggestions listed and nothing was working. Couldn’t get the new tv to stay off. 

After racking my small tech brain, I decided to try an experiment and disconnected the older Roku box altogether, I then swapped it out for our ‘newer’ Roku 4K Streaming Stick from our upstairs tv. 

This seems to have fixed the problem! Now both remotes (tv and Roku) can turn the new tv on and off and it actually stays off! 

** Roku maybe your tech people can compare and investigate those two different streaming devices for why one works and one doesn’t. Hopefully this helps some people with a very frustrating issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TomS31 I had this problem with an older LG TV and an apple TV.  A couple of things you can try.  Go into settings on the Roku device and go through setup the remote for TV control again.  Except when after the first code that works in turning off the TV volume, lie to the Roku and say that you can still here the music. this will force the Roku to look for a different code.  When the Roku finds the next code that works answer correctly.  This may or may not solve your problem.

The second thing I would try going to settings on Roku device, select system, control other devices, and turn off one touch play.  This will result in not being able to use the home button to turn on the TV but the Roku power on/off and volume controls still should work for the TV.  Good Luck.

JC38

Jump to solution

Was having the same problem with Samsung Q70 series tv not staying turned off using either the tv remote or the Roku Ultra 4K (small tabletop box) remote. The tv will turn off for one second or two and then turn itself back on again. 

Brand new Samsung Q70 tv literally just delivered today (17Jul24). Our Roku Ultra 4K box is approx 1yr old and worked fine with our 10 year old Samsung tv. 

I tried numerous suggestions listed and nothing was working. Couldn’t get the new tv to stay off. 

After racking my small tech brain, I decided to try an experiment and disconnected the older Roku box altogether, I then swapped it out for our ‘newer’ Roku 4K Streaming Stick from our upstairs tv. 

This seems to have fixed the problem! Now both remotes (tv and Roku) can turn the new tv on and off and it actually stays off! 

** Roku maybe your tech people can compare and investigate those two different streaming devices for why one works and one doesn’t. Hopefully this helps some people with a very frustrating issue. 

0 Kudos
Judi__B

Jump to solution

Turning off One Touch Play worked for me! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.