Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bumperb
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

Streaming stick keeps overheating, we have added the extender and it is no help.  The TV is cool  and it is over an air conditioning vent so it is getting good air flow.  We have another stick and it does not do this.  Is this a safety issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

@bumperb 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@bumperb 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Danno777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is a Roku stick any more likely to overheat if the tv( the stick is plugged into) is left on(powered up) for long periods of time? By long I mean longer than 12-24 hours.

0 Kudos
bumperb
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is hot even when the TV has been turned off all night. 

0 Kudos
Evesparadox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My stick is overheating all the time. I noticed that the sound was also not syncing to the Actor's lips so I unplug my roku stick, cooled it down plugged it back in and the syncing issue was fixed but then, maybe an hour or 2 the stick is hot again. I can barely pull it off of the TV. To day I repeated the same thing I took the stick out,  cooled it down I put it back in the TV within 15 minutes the stick was hot again. So I have all these subscriptions and now I can't use my stick.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Evesparadox

Thanks for the post.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolves your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue, the extender let it go a little longer before overheating, but it is still happening. Hope you find a solution 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Leighleigh613

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you still getting the overheating message often when you're using your Roku stick? If so, please reply here with the serial number of the affected device. It can be located in Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Evesparadox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah I agree with you it does last a little bit longer but then overheats just like it did before, without the extender. I know that it's getting overheated when the  voices are not in sync with the mouths of the actors.

It is very frustrating to have to unplug the stick and let it cool down about 10 minutes before you start to watch a movie. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Evesparadox

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you tried all the suggestions in this Support article: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If yes and the issue persists, please reply here with the details I asked for above. 

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos