Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AHazen
Channel Surfer

Roku voice remote pro keeps turning off roku tv by itself

Roku Voice Remote Pro and Roku TV - have had the VRP for about 6 months now with no issues, several weeks ago I began getting the sidebar on my TV for "find my remote" "turn off tv" the Inputs Etc., and previously I ahve been able to simply click "close" and it went away.  For the last few days it has been nonstop, and I ahve restarted the TV numerous times to reset.  Now it is constant to the point where it just keeps turning the TV on and off, trying to find the remote with the remote alarm, and jumping around that sidebar and "clicking" on random other command options (HDMI inputs, etc).  I cannot get it to stop and I cannot unpair my remote.  is there a force unpair function from the remote itself or could it be a problem with the Roku TV?   

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku voice remote pro keeps turning off roku tv by itself

Hi @AHazen,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the issues with your Roku remote. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend performing the below steps to see if they can resolve the issue:

Put your streaming device in pairing mode.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device.
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds.
  3. Re-connect the power cable.
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen.
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode.

1. Press and hold the pairing button (found at the back of your remote) on your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button, and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the pairing button (found at the back of your remote) for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: Fix your Roku remote.

Let us know if charging, unpairing, and pairing back the Roku remote fixes the issue.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AHazen
Channel Surfer

I tried all of the above multiple times, and in different sequences and finally gave up and bought a new voice pro remote.  Had the same issues the first night and then sporadically since.  If this doesn't work, maybe I will switch to the same Vizio TV that I have in my living room, which is working great with a Roku streambar from 4 years ago. A shame because I have been a Roku supporter for many years, (and I have a Google streaming device in a drawer that I will pull out and use as well).      

0 Kudos
AHazen
Channel Surfer

Well, scratch that, it happened again last night. TV just went haywire again with the new remote. I have to unplug the TV to keep it from turning on by itself repeatedly. Perhaps the problem is in the ROKU TV and not the VPR? 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AHazen,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We'll be glad to further assist.

Can you please send us a photo of the running issue as our reference?

In the meantime, kindly try restarting your system and updating the software on your Roku device to see if it fixes the issue.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AHazen
Channel Surfer

This is crazy, after following all of the advice I have tried each of the following: VPR remote that this problem originally began with that ran successfully for many months, a brand new VPR remote just purchased because of this problem, an older “gaming remote” from a previous ROKU device (this remote is a precursor to the VPR), and now I am on my original remote that came with the TCL Roku TV., without the headset jack that I need for quiet watching at night.  I have restarted each of the remotes, but I cannot access the menu long enough without it jumping immediately between different functions as mentioned above. The TV can only be restarted by unplugging it because in the infinite wisdom of ROKU and TCL, actual manual buttons on the tv were not a thing, only remote access. At this point I can only surmise the problem is with the TV and not the multiple remotes I have tried. My only solution that I can see is to purchase a new TV and throw away all of my ROKU devices. So frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@AHazen 

How close are your neighbors? Perhaps they paired a Roku wifi remote with your Roku tv? Check in the settings> remote & devices> remote> 

Do you see any strange remotes listed there? Other than the two pros and the gaming remote? 

You might have to get together with them, have them unplug their Roku as you pair your three remotes, then you unplug your Roku as they pair theirs? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AHazen
Channel Surfer

$300 later, problem solved.  New Vizio Smart TV - NO ROKU TV/NO ROKU REMOTE.  That Roku VPR will go into my old Roku remote graveyard, never to be seen again, and my ROKU TV will be either disposed of or donated to a local charity.  What a shame for a long time Roku supporter.  If I didn't have a streambar/Roku wireless surround in my living room, I could switch everything from Roku to something equivalent.   

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.