Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonjohns65

Roku remotes stop working every 12 months

Jump to solution

I have a TCL TV and have bought a new Roku branded remote every 12 months because they stop working. It's not a pairing issue, not a battery issue. When I have tried pairing, the light that is supposed to flash, indicating pairing, does not come on, indicating that the remote itself is 'bad'. I don't have any electronics training, tools, or a microscope to 'teat' the board, so I cannot rule out any components are 'bad. My remotes have never had any water / liquid damage, dropped, or stepped on, or anything else. I'm blaming this on built in obsolescence and capitalism. It's silly and frustrating to pay an annual fee of $9.99 - $29.99 for the remote control features. Sure, I use my phone app for a couple days, but, this will be my last Roku TV, next time, I'm buying elsewhere. CUSTOMER SERVICE:  do not reply with your canned responses, please. I can troubleshoot my own hardware. The TV works fine, a new remote works fine, these annual failures of your product are disgraceful. Do better.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remotes stop working every 12 months

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Jonjohns65!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concern about the remote for your TCL Roku TV. I'd be happy to provide further information.

In cases like this, I highly recommend purchasing a remote directly from TCL, as they manufacture their own player hardware, including their remote. We only support the software operating system of your TCL Roku TV. 

You may reach them here for further assistance: TCL Support

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remotes stop working every 12 months

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Jonjohns65!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concern about the remote for your TCL Roku TV. I'd be happy to provide further information.

In cases like this, I highly recommend purchasing a remote directly from TCL, as they manufacture their own player hardware, including their remote. We only support the software operating system of your TCL Roku TV. 

You may reach them here for further assistance: TCL Support

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.