Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Budman2k
Reel Rookie

Roku remote won't turn unit on or off. All other functions work fine.

Jump to solution

Setting up a new 4k+ and everything works except that the remote will not turn the Roku unit on or off. All other functions work; it turns the TV on, controls volume etc. It is just the power on/off function for the Roku that doesn't work. I hit the reset button and the unit comes on and everything works as it should. When I try to shut off the TV turns off but the Roku stays on. I have an older Samsung 32" TV and I've tried both HDMI ports with no luck.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote won't turn unit on or off. All other functions work fine.

Jump to solution

@Budman2k wrote:

My other unit turns off with the remote (LED goes out when I hit power) This one doesn't which I'm not concerned with as much as it not coming on unless I hit the reset button

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, see if deactivating any power saving options you find there under "Auto power savings" eliminates the need to reset the Roku on startup.  I don't know what effect this may have on the power LED.

Background:

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku devices. The new "Auto power savings" item there puts the Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) is said to bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

Deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby mode in the first place.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Budman2k 

Roku devices don't turn off. The power button on the remote is for the TV, not for the Roku itself. It never turns off.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Budman2k
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My other unit turns off with the remote (LED goes out when I hit power) This one doesn't which I'm not concerned with as much as it not coming on unless I hit the reset button

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Budman2k 

The Roku device does not turn off. If it's a Stick and if it's powered by the USB on the TV, and if the USB on the TV is a switched outlet, then yes, it's off because power is cut.

If it's not, it could be that the Roku is detecting the TV is off via CEC, and going into a low power mode, such as when the screen saver comes on.

Swap the devices and see if the behavior stays with the TV or if it follows the device.

Also, provide the model numbers (Settings > System > About) of the Roku devices. That way I can avoid the whole "if it's this, then... but if it's that, then ..." thing.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Budman2k
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

First off, thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it. The Roku is a model 3941. SW 10,5,0

I thought about switching the units but I'm reluctant because everything is working so well on my main TV. I may have to bite the bullet and do that tomorrow. However, this is the second unit exhibiting the same behavior so I think it is in the TV set. Your point about CEC makes sense...I wonder if this set doesn't use something like CEC so the Roku doesn't "wake up" when the TV comes on.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No Roku is controlled by cec, roku's do the controlling. Some tv's don't awaken from standby with cec signal like they do for IR signals. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Budman2k 

It really depends on how much it bothers you. I strongly suspect the TV isn't telling the Roku to wake up from screen saver/black screen/low power mode. Yeah, you can swap around, if you want to find our for sure, but even then, you'll be back to where you are now. You won't fix anything, you'll just know the cause.

Let me ask you to try this, though. You're turning off the TV with the remote, right? Keep doing that. But, when you want to turn it on, rather than power on, hit the HOME button on the Roku. The Roku will wake up (it's always on, remember, so it will get the signal) and it may trigger the TV, which may turn on.

It could be that while the TV won't communicate properly to the Roku, the Roku will communicate to the TV and turn it on.

Even if that works, I'm not sure it's any better than what you have now, but it would strongly indicate that's what's going on.

UPDATE: Or listen to @Tivoburkee who really knows his stuff.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@Budman2k 

There's no reason you can't test this on a different tv even if it already has a roku attached. Just plug it into a different hdmi input. See if its the first tv's at fault or if it follows the roku to second tv?

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Budman2k wrote:

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, see if deactivating any power saving options you find there under "Auto power savings" eliminates the need to reset the Roku on startup.  I don't know what effect this may have on the power LED.

Background:

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku devices. The new "Auto power savings" item there puts the Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) is said to bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

Deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby mode in the first place.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Budman2k
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Pressing any key (other than power) wakes the unit up! I prefer to leave the power saving options on as this is in one of the bedrooms. Hitting home and then power brings everything on.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

0 Kudos