Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku remote won't change channels on the over the air screen

Jump to solution

Unplugging the USB also worked for me. Definitely a software bug that needs fixing.

0 Kudos
mbh0929

Jump to solution

I'm having this problem after an internet outage. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mbh0929,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching us. We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help but we need more details. Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• What kind of issue are you experiencing?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

As a first step, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page for a more helpful FAQ article that walks through the most common troubleshooting steps to assist you. Get started here: Official Roku Support | Roku Device Questions & Troubleshooting

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Danny8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the exact same problem with my Hisense Roku TV as well

0 Kudos
Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Removing the USB drive fixed mine (permanently).  Problem has not come back.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Danny8

Thanks for reaching out. 

We'd like to know more about the issue you running into. Could you provide the details requested posted by @RokuMary-F above? 

With more detailed information, we will be able to best assist you. 

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you go thru the entire 4 pages in this thread - I think you will get the answers to your questions and see that there is an unresolved issue with ROKU's (generally excellent) software.   Getting rid of the USB key intended to allow saving/rewinding live shows fixes it - but that means giving up that save/rewind function (in my case no big deal especially vs living with the issue).

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As has also been documented elsewhere, those of us who haven't been using USB stick have still experienced the issue. That is, for us, pulling the USB stick is *not* a factor.

Don't have the problem so much with channel listings these days (11.5), but problems with the channel listing being sometimes non-responsive continue.

Just have to go back Home and start over - that generally works. But sometimes I have do a hard power-down and wait 30 secs or so and start it back up.

A number of other apparent bugs have increased as the TV gets older - e.g., Amazon app quits in the middle of a program often. Not sure if more current Roku hardware would act any differently. When this particular bug occurs, a hard power-down is apparently the only (temporary) fix, or it will continue happening again.

As I mentioned a long time ago, if you really want to just view off-air channels and don't mind not having filled-in channel listings - or access to any Internet-based apps - just disconnect the network (in my case, pull the ethernet cable). That works every time.

As a side comment: one thing that is really irritating about channel listings is that the TV periodically completely loses "hidden" and "favorite" channels - in which case I have to manually re-create, which is a pain. On re-tuning off-air channels, this *always* happens; but that isn't the only time favorite/hidden channel sets are lost.

Then again, it's free TV. ‌😉

0 Kudos