Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrimbhu

Roku remote very slow to respond

I feel like I'm having this to some extent on all three, but especially on one 3800X (software v13.0.0) whenever I haven't used the remote for a while and I press a button for maybe 5-10 seconds the device won't respond to it, even if the device is active. (This is particularly frustrating when I need to pause.) Once it begins to respond again if generally reacts quickly and often "catches up" to most of the button presses that happened earlier. It generally responds quickly to the remote app on my phone. It feels like the physical remote is struggling to connect to the device but then catches up transmitting the requests. The unresponsiveness even happens when using the power button to turn on the TV, though I haven't seen it rapidly "catching up" to turning the power on and off. I've tried replacing the batteries on the remote and re-pairing it. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote very slow to respond

We're grateful to have you here in the Roku Community, @shrimbhu!

I appreciate you sharing your concern about the button responses on your physical Roku remote, and I'd be happy to suggest some steps to help you resolve this.

Please try pressing and holding the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds to reset your remote. After doing so, pair it again to see if this makes any difference. 

In addition, may I know if this happened prior to your latest software, version 13? 

I'll be looking forward to your update!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mythyme123
Reel Rookie

I too am having the same issue. I tried buying a new remote and it reacts exactly the same way. I am assuming that it has to do with my Roku 3 itself. It is fully updated and it started happening approximately 3 weeks ago. I thought my remote was bad.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mythyme123,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that your new Roku remote is too slow when working with your Roku 3 streaming device. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced from this. Let us assist you with this without any worries.

The Roku 3 streaming device is one of our older versions of streaming players; however, Roku is still supported with our updated operating system. May you please share with us the type of Roku remote that you purchased?

If replacing the remote did not work to have a better experience, we recommend you try restarting your Roku 3 by following this step-by-step process:

1. System restart your Roku device: How to system restart your Roku device or you can manually unplug the device from your TV and the outlet.
  2. Check for updates on your streaming device: Press Home on your Roku remote > Scroll and select Settings > Select System >  Select Software update > Select Check Now to manually check for updates
  3. Remove the batteries from the Roku remote.

We hope this process can help you resolve your concern.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mythyme123
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply.

I've done some experimenting. The the unit model 4230x, SN # 4E756G101606.

I have another unit model 4200x, SN # 4124CR038117.

They are both reacting exactly the same way. Hit the remote and there is a delay of up to 5 to 6 seconds before reacting. If reacting at all . On both units, the Voice search is not working. Hit the button the voice search comes up. Then you speak, and you get a message says it's not working.

I'm assuming that it's possible that it was a recent update to the system that's causing the problem. What do you think?

I find it very odd that it's happening to both units.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mythyme123,

Thank you for the update.

We appreciate you for sharing more details about the problem with your Roku 3 and the Roku remote. We really appreciate your efforts to fix it.

We will share this issue with our appropriate team to further investigate it. Kindly provide the OS version of your Roku 3 devices (this can be found in Settings > System > About) and the issue report Tracker ID (press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

In the meantime, you try to use the Roku mobile app to control your Roku devices. How to install the Roku mobile app | How to sign in to the Roku mobile app

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our appropriate team who can investigate further.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mythyme123
Reel Rookie

I have two models of the roku 3 and both of them are acting the exactly the same way. I've been dealing with this issue for over a month now. I truly find it ironic that it appears to be a software problem. I hope it's not like Apple, where they wanted people to buy new phones.

The information your requesting is.

Model 4230X, sn# 4E756G101606, Software V-13.1.4 Build 1510

Model 4200X, sn# 4124CR038117, software V-13.1.4 BUILD 1510

Thank You

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @shrimbhu,

Thanks for the update!

We already coordinated your issue about the Roku 3 devices that have a slow response when using your Roku remote.

Please visit your private message as we have sent you a message for more details. 

We look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.