Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zektrell

Roku "unable to hear" my voice command

When I activate voice command i receive a screen message "unable to hear you.  Try again". I have tried ALL the recommended remedies to no avail. From reading other customer's  same problem with the Roku remote, I assume from all of the replies that the only remedy left is to replace it, which is what I am asking for. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku "unable to hear" my voice command

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Zektrell!

I appreciate you reaching out for support about the issues you've encountered with the voice command feature on your Roku remote. I'd be happy to look closely into this matter and suggest some troubleshooting steps to help you. 

Firstly, could you please let me know the following so I can assess your concern better:

• When did you first notice that your Roku remote cannot hear your voice?
  • Did this happen even when you first paired your remote to your Roku player?
  • Is this happening to your Roku Express 4K+? If so, could you please provide me with its serial number?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, try resetting your remote by pressing and holding the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds. After doing so, pair it again and try the voice command to see if this works. 

I'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
ENIGMACODER
Reel Rookie

'Unable To Hear You - Try Again'

Hello

Note: I have THREE roku Ultras in the house. Two of the Voice Remote Commands function properly. However after about 2 years, this particular remote 'Voice Command Function' stopped working. All I get now is the prompt 'Unable To Hear You - Try Again'

I'm sorry to post another question regarding this common issue. It seems many many others have had the same NIGHTMARE due to a software update corrupting its functionality.

I've also read that others used a 'Factory Reset' which seemed to solve the issue. PLEASE KNOW I PREFER NOT TO USE THAT METHOD (as all my passwords will have to also be RESET). I don't want to do that! So I'm asking if I purchase a 'NEW' replacement remote will that SOLVE THIS ISSUE?

Thank You

0 Kudos
ENIGMACODER
Reel Rookie

Re: Unable To Hear You - Try Again Later

Hello: (to all who've had the SAME issue).

Out of frustration, I'm asking: If I buy a NEW replacement remote (specifically for the Ultra 4360 series), will this SOLVE the issue (even temporarily)? Will the NEW remote Hear Me?

*Please I know this may not be the technically desired solution, but WILL IT WORK?

Thank You

0 Kudos
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Unable To Hear You - Try Again Later

To all who've had the SAME issue, (and take note I've tried all the previously recommended suggestions).

Out of frustration, I'm asking: If I buy a NEW replacement remote (specifically for the Ultra 4360 series), will this SOLVE the issue (even temporarily)? Will the NEW remote Hear Me and function properly?

*I fully realize this may not technically be the appropriate solution, but WILL IT WORK?

Thank You

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Unable To Hear You - Try Again Later

Hi, @carpentermate @ENIGMACODER, thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with your Roku voice remote and we are here to offer you further assistance. To begin, we would like to gather the following information to better assist you.

• Is this the original remote that came with your Roku device, or was it purchased separately?
  • When did the issue with the remote start?
  • If possible, could you take a picture of the remote?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.