Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xacto
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote suddenly stopped controlling sound bar?

Yes, I've done all those things. Many times. As I said in my original post, when I re-pair the remote it connects to the soundbar, but only briefly, like for minute. Then it goes dead. I'm using the IR method because my soundbar doesn't have an hdmi connection (for CEC).

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Xacto,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

You seem to have done a ton of fantastic troubleshooting at this point. We will be happy to assist you further with this issue. Please be advised that your Roku remote can't be used to control the power and volume of other devices such as soundbars or AV receivers. You may need to use a separate remote for a soundbar to adjust or control the volume.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Xacto
Reel Rookie

Well, I took another crack at resetting-- pulled the power plugs on the TV and the Roku, left them disconnected for several minutes and repowered. Also re-paired the remote. Result: it now works! In a previous post I fingered Roku software as the likely problem, but I was mistaken since I've had no updates since May, but I've had the remote working after that. I think the culprit was the TV. I now have volume control and muting via the Roku remote. John, I know the Roku party line is that soundbar volume can't be controlled by the Roku remote, but that's not true because I'm controlling mine with the remote (and it appears others in this thread are too). My soundbar is an LG-454LASB. It has no HDMI connection, only optical audio (plus an auxiliary stereo jack which has nothing to do with any of this). I've use it with my LG 65uj6540 Ultra TV and with my very old Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20 plasma, with volume/muting on both from the Roku remote.