Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juelzann

Roku remote sucks and no one wants to help!!

I have to replace the batteries in my voice remote every 2 weeks, or less.  I've already searched the forums and you don't seem to have a solution.  Do I need to switch streaming devices?  Or have you figured out the issue??  I can't take the batteries out when not in use,  that's absurd.

8 REPLIES 8
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote sucks and no one wants to help!!

Unless you have a streaming stick, the simplest resolution is to buy a IR remote to use instead. Many clones available on eBay, or the more expensive learning models from oneforall will have Roku support.

A second option is to buy the rechargeable voice remote pro.

Otherwise..the solution is technically difficult and uncertain, inherent in technology used.  The link between remote and streamer is bidirectional and in same frequencies as WiFi, and is on for a lot of the time.  If you live in an area with lots of nearby WiFi (or other devices in 2.4Ghz license free band) the remote has to "shout" to make itself heard. And that wears out the batteries.  Not much can be done other than get help in changing WiFi to different channel to see if that helps (might improve WiFi speed as well).

Or either remote or streamer is defective and not transmitting the link at full power. Try a replacement wireless remote (maybe second hand from eBay, or a new voice remote) and see if the experience is better

I have posted a suggestion that streaming stick design needs have an IR remote fallback option with an "eye" on a wire to put on top or underneath TV screen, to work around this kind of problem.

Not a Roku employee
Juelzann

I will try changing the Wi-Fi.  This was a replacement remote since my first started to stop working randomly.  

Seems like Roku needs to figure out a better way than suggesting purchasing more equipment to solve a remote issue. 

I have 2 other streaming devices I can use,  but chose Roku.  

Not that I alone matter,  but this will definitely be something that makes me  choose my other options over Roku. 

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Juelzann 

I've been a Roku user for over 10 years, and I've never had an issue with the remotes. Most Roku users don't have issues. Whatever is going on is something that impacts a small percentage of users. Before you respond that a lot of people have similar issues, keep in mind there are literally millions of Roku users. If 1% were impacted, that's over a hundred thousand. Less than that number have issues. If that many had issues, this board would be flooded 24/7 with reports. So, it's a small percentage that have the issues.

Having said that, the issue you're experiencing is very real. The problem is trying to determine what is causing it.

You didn't say what Roku device you have. It's always a good idea to provide your Roku model number and Roku software version -- Settings > System > About -- when reporting issues. I'm going to assume it's a device using a Voice Remote, Enhanced Voice Remote, or Voice Remote Pro. The model number would have told me, so I'm guessing here.

Those WiFi Direct devices can work overtime if network connectivity drops. The remote uses the same band and channel your device uses to connect to the network. If connectivity drops, the remote has to work harder to restore it. Harder work = shorter battery life.

This is a possible issue. The solution to such an issue is to troubleshoot network connectivity.

To start this, what device do you have? What band (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, both) does your network use? What channel on the band?

There are some really good network folks that frequent this forum, and can provide excellent guidance in resolving network issues.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

I have a TCL Roku TV that had/has a similar problem.  Voice remote works fine to power on/off the TV and change volume but is very slow and sometimes doesn't work to use Roku menu.  I discovered that this only happens when I am on 2.4 GHz band.  Never is a problem on 5 GHz band.   If possible try the 5 GHz band.   In my case this worked great until I went with a Nest Mesh system that is dual band but uses the same SSID for both bands.  Sometimes after a power outage I have to setup network until the TV connects to the 5 GHz band.  Once on 5GHz there is never a problem.  I have two other TCL Roku TV and neither have this problem.  I have family members with TCL Roku TVs and none have this problem.  This may not be helpful to anyone else but I tried. 

Curtis1484

Dude SAME!!! I have to buy giant packs of batteries at Costco just to keep up with these **bleep** remotes!!! This can’t be right! WTF???

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

If your Roku can accept IR commands, go with aftermarket universal remote. If you have a roku Stick, then a universal remote is out. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  Of course, the numbers of people complaining about remote device issues in this group are a tiny fraction of users, but just as all those having no problems are underrepresented, so too, those with issues. Not every or even most users go to user forums, especially those who have, and realize how slim the likelihood is of ever finding actual solutions. I don't know how many issues on this one never get any further than an employee asking people to send them a list of details, then never getting back, much less, resolving anything.

I also run into nagging issues with my voice remote, the voice works very sporadically, sometimes requiring having to say the channel over 10 times, or having to turn the TV off, and then on again, a couple time, or taking batteries out, and repairing, etc, etc.

But that, to me, aren't the biggest issues, which are the counter-intuitive & aggravating set up of the devices. Like having no numerical means of navigation, those pay channels buttons that are a huge waste of space (esp. as Netflix is the only one I have, and how much effort does it take to simply hit the home button, and then a pay channel?

Plus, having the Mute button on the side, of what is already a pretty small remote, means having to always gingerly pick it up, or even touch it! It will suddenly go to ESPN, or sound will cut out, or will turn off, as I try to pick it up without touching most of the device, its so poorly designed, I honestly can't believe this is what they offer users in 2022, I feel like it took a time machine to some time in the past. On second thought, remotes made more sense & were more logically laid out for decades before now...

Anyway, I just meant to respond to an often posted sentiment, "Well, mine's been working fine. And your complaints are only a tiny percentage of users".... I see that on Apple's site, and others, and it's rarely the company pooh poohing everyone's complaints, just self-declared "experts".  Hey, I've driven about 55 years, and never had my car get in an accident, so those who have them, must be a very tiny percentage of drivers, right?

AndrewLB
Channel Surfer

The fact that there are very few topics from people with your battery issue is absolute proof that it is not a common issue. I have the same remote and can’t recall how long it’s been since I replaced the batteries.  That might be because I mainly use a Logitech Harmony One remote since it controls everything, even my lighting and air con. 

For high battery usage devices, I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They have great capacity and can handle hundreds of recharges.