Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdtech200591
Channel Surfer

Roku remote loses volume and TV control

Reopening this thread. I see RokuDanny said this was fixed but it is not. My Roku remote with Vizio was working great using the code from Gold Star, which another user suggested to use. Today I notice my Roku updated and again lost volume and tv control. I dont know what the heck these guys keep on changing but its pissing me off. Do they have something against Vizio?

Old Thread that was closed out with 80 pages of user complaints. Why did they close it?

Old Thread Link 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote loses volume and TV control

Instead of worrying about whether Roku has something against Vizio (which you cant control), why not simply program your remote the same way using the Goldstar brand/codes that you did before (which you can control)?

0 Kudos
cdtech200591
Channel Surfer

Do you think I didn’t try that first? Of course I did. Gold star, and lg codes now do not work. Nightmare!

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

@cdtech200591  It’s not the end of the world. Just use your TV’s original remote. 

0 Kudos
cdtech200591
Channel Surfer

Yea if I had my original remote, but either way it should work as it worked for many years before hand. Imagine buying a product from roku and it not working. It may not be a big deal for you but I want stuff to work when I buy it.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Don’t lose your remote. I have all my remotes for everything 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@cdtech200591 

Some have reported that by connecting to another network, for instance their phone's wifi hotspot, while setting up their remote for their TV, it enables the to complete.  Once the remote is successfully set up for the TV, you can then return to your normal home network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@cdtech200591 

You didnt mention it in your OP, so we didnt know you "tried it".

If your Roku (model # and firmware version unknown) updated between Monday (when you stated a Goldstar code worked) and Tuesday (when you say Goldstar no longer worked), then you should definitely bring this to @RokuDanny-R 's attention (feedback he solicited in his closeout post in the other thread).

However, its probably best to state your model # and firmware version (including build) when posting (you might consider putting that in the post title next time - it makes it very easy for Roku/other users to know/see exactly what version/build has an issue).

0 Kudos
Bhaywood25

@BillieAnnie  Dont comment on someone’s question if you aren’t going to be useful. You're coming off very ignorant. The original post is correct he or she should be complaining because the tv should be compatible with other remotes.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@cdtech200591 

It doesn't matter what upgrades your Roku gets it will not change the IR code the remote was programmed to, unless you reprogram it again. Even if you factory reset the Roku the remote would still have the previous programming left unchanged. Test the Roku remote, see if it issuing IR commands by pointing at the cellphone camera. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos