Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku remote batteries die too fast

I have been seeing a lot of other posts about Roku remotes dying really fast and it seems to be a problem on going for a few years now. I have a streaming decide plugged into my LG tv and I have gone through over a dozen batteries in the last 2 months. I have re-paired my remote a handful of times, reset the TV, the remote, and the device. Not getting any better. Has there been any fix? Will there be? This is frustrating! #rokuremote

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote batteries die too fast

Me and others have had these same problems for many years. I believe I have been complaining about this and the annoying malfunctioning low battery warning pop up that appears on the screen since 2018. No, there is no fix. It is unlikely Roku is going to fix this either, because they have known about it for years and nothing has changed. My guess is they don't know how to fix it, or they do but it's a design flaw in the current model remotes and Roku either because of arrogance or cost doesn't want to design new remotes.

I have come up with my own solution that works, remove the batteries from your Roku remote when you are done using your Roku. Because even if the Roku is not plugged in the remote is draining the batteries. I only put my batteries back in when using my Roku remotes and I am still getting a 100% reading in the settings for the battery level after a couple of months of using the same batteries. Two different pairs of batteries in two different remotes so it isn't a fluke.

On the other hand I have a Fire TV Cube that I got back in September of 2022, two whole years ago. I am still using the exact same batteries that came with it and have had no issues. I got another Fire TV Stick in November 2023 and also using the same batteries. The Fire TV remotes are WiFi remotes that you pair to the device just like the Roku voice remotes. But the Fire TV remotes don't suck your batteries dry when the device isn't in use and when you are using the remotes the power drain is minimal.

The bottom line is the Roku player is a good product but the remotes that control them are utter garbage. Not just because of the battery drain but also because of putting the volume and mute buttons on the right side of the remote where they can be accidentally pressed when handling the remote. The person that designed that is deeply stupid and the people who approved that design are even more stupid.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.