Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Voice Remote TV Controls Stop Working - Potential Fix

Hi @Wrennewest

Thank you for the inquiry!

If the TV controls on your Roku Voice Remote have stopped working, here are a few potential fixes you can try:

• Replace the batteries: The first thing to check is the battery level of your remote. If the batteries are low, replace them with fresh ones and see if that resolves the issue.
  • Check for obstructions: Make sure there are no obstructions between your remote and your Roku device or TV. Objects such as furniture, electronic devices, or walls can interfere with the signal from the remote.
  • Repair the remote: If the issue persists, try re-pairing the remote with your Roku device. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold the pairing button on the back of your remote for 5 seconds.
  2. Wait for the pairing light on the remote to begin flashing.
  3. Press and hold the pairing button on your Roku device for 5 seconds or until the pairing light starts flashing.
  • Wait for the pairing process to complete.
    Reset the remote: If re-pairing the remote does not work, try resetting the remote. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Remove the batteries from your remote.
  2. Press and hold any button on the remote for 20 seconds.
  3. Release the button and reinsert the batteries.
  4. Wait for the remote to pair with your Roku device.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
kitsuncle
Reel Rookie

OK, Last time now.  My issue is solved.  But FYI

>Replacing the batteries is step one, and doesn't even need to be

suggested.

>The issue I had was that NO button push on the remote produced

ANY action on the screen, so suggesting any menu action as a thing

to try is futile.

> After stick reset, the first thing in the installation sequence is to

"re-pair" the remote.  2 buttons (the re-pair 2) pushed as long and as hard as possible produces nothing.  NO blinking light, THE REMOTE is a dead PARROT.

> I was about to buy a new remote, but I had no confidence that a new one would last any longer.

I'm glad I found the problem (see above) because I think this 4K stick is excellent.  It pulls in my router all over the house at full bandwidth and the picture is fabulous.

Ksillman05
Streaming Star

Is Roku support really this inept or do they always just rely on there customers to do the heavy lifting and resolve hardware issues for them?  

Len99
Reel Rookie

Hi Mike234,

Unfortunately, I am still having the issue. In addition to the Volume/Mute on the remote intermittently working, the Roku re-boots itself after I start the TV followed by starting the Roku Ultra. My Roku Ultra has a dedicated power adapter, so that is not an issue. Also, I checked the voltage from the adapter and it is per spec. My next step is to re-pair the remote with the unit again.

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

I have 3 Rokus, an express no issues, a 4k stick no issues. And the problem child Ultra. The remote volume/power issue and also green/magenta screen flashes when entering dolby vision from a comercial on some apps, the Spectrum tv app mostly.

The entire screen turns green and pixilated when the program that your watching returns from commercial break then instantly returns to normal. Not a giant issue just annoying. Most likely a app issue.

0 Kudos
Wrennewest
Channel Surfer

Thank you! I am thinking that because this TV is older it may be the problem. I’m just going with a different service in that room! 

0 Kudos
Ledoc254
Channel Surfer

This seems to have worked for me.

0 Kudos
Tbowers
Channel Surfer

All the "fixes" instruct going to Settings, but the problem is that the remote has no effect on the Roku screen.  I can't scroll, there's no effect. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Tbowers

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Have you tried re-pairing the remote to your Roku device? What remote do you own, a simple or voice remote? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Please follow the steps here: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
JBF

I've been having this issue for months and have been following this and other threads in the community. I've tried doing the "secret" menu remote update, re-pairing the remote, etc but to no avail. Roku support keeps asking for device information and makes users jump through a bunch of hoops but I think the engineers should have a good picture what's happening by now. It's a shame because I really liked Roku and have used it for years. I think they've just gotten too big and worry about the bottom line for the investor, not the customer. I upgraded my gear in February of 2023 and then all the PITA fun began. Between a 4k stick and extra remote, I think I have about $55 into Roku. I'll probably limp along for about a year and if Roku doesn't figure out a fix, I'll move on to Apple TV.

I do have a suggestion in the meantime. I've found that if the remote loses its mind and you have another, try the other remote to see if the Roku device responds and gets its brains back. Then the first or problem remote might be OK. Also, I've found that if you press the voice input button on the remote, sometimes that will reactivate the TV settings.

Good luck!