Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pj9902
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Voice Remote TV Controls Stop Working - Potential Fix

Is there some trick to pressing this sequence? I've tried about ten times and keep getting Weird Al Yankovich--no secret menu.

pj9902
Channel Surfer

I've tried the secret menu sequence about 20 times, just keeps going to Weird Al. Pressing the Home button 5 times just shows the Home menu. Then immediately press >> pause << pause >>  goes to Weird Al--no secret menu opens. 

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@pj9902 

That is frustrating. Which Roku device are you using?… I am using a Roku Ultra, so this menu might not be programmed into every Roku device.

RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@pj9902 

It is great that you were at least able to access that other menu and run the update, but the problem sounds a little bit different than what I had.

So, the remote can control the volume via IR or CEC.  Possibly, the remote is doing both at the same time, which it should not do.

One easy thing to check is to see if when you press the volume button one time that the IR signal on the remote only goes off one time.  You can use a smartphone or tablet camera and look at the front of the remote... for each button press for the TV controls on the Roku remote, you should only see one light flash when looking through the camera app for your smartphone or tablet.  If you do this, please let us know the results... one light flash per button press or multiple light flashes per button press.

0 Kudos
janety
Channel Surfer

Sorry, but this just takes me to the Search menu... help!

0 Kudos
janety
Channel Surfer

Oh, it worked now... sorry again!

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@janety 

I’m glad you got it to work. Did it fix your Roku remote?

0 Kudos
janety
Channel Surfer

Mine wont charge. I contacted Roku Chat Support and had some guy (ugh) finally agree to send me a replacement one. The support was inept - kept asking me irrelevant troubleshooting questions that wasted both our time. I will wait for the remote!

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@janety 

Did that remote ever charge correctly, or it was bad from the start?… or, did it stop charging correctly after a Roku update?

Does the LED on the back of the remote light up when you try charging the remote?

Does the socket on the remote for the power cord look clean (no dust or debris), and does the power cord snap into the socket firmly?

Also, what is the usb end for the charge cord getting plugged into?… an adapter (if adapter, what brand and voltage), usb wall outlet, computer, etc.?

0 Kudos
janety
Channel Surfer

1) it worked for a year and then BAM! battery 0% and refused to charge

2) no Roku update

3) other remote works fine

4) the Led lights up when attempting charge and the remote works fine as long as it's plugged in to power

5) the socket is fine

6) the cable charges other peripherals 

These are all basic troubleshooting that I did prior to making a report. Just FYI

0 Kudos