Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

A system restart, in my case, does not fix the issue. Neither does re-pairing the remote, removing and reinstalling channels, unplugging the Roku box for 15 minutes, even a factory reset. In fact nothing that has been recommended in this forum has worked (from my reading all posts back to 2021) for any user experiencing this problem.

I saw one instance where a software update (in 2022, I believe) may have helped a few people for a while but it would seem whatever bug was repaired in that update was reintroduced into the software again.

Roku’s Quality/Testing team in their IT division must be sorely lacking. It is clearly not an issue with TV’s, and not an issue with remotes. The software has to be to blame. It would be nice if we could get an update indicating some kind of attention to this issue! Otherwise, I will be moving to an AppleTv box in September.

To have one’s volume suddenly increase to max (extremely unnerving) or suddenly decrease to mute (extremely frustrating) is unacceptable. Especially since this issue has been ongoing for years!

Labels (1)
21 REPLIES 21
MikeZ
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

Recently I developed the same (or very similar) problem on my Roku 4660X, connected to a Sony OLED TV via HDMI. I've used this Roku for several years without any sound issues, but sometime about six months ago it started at random (while playing streaming content) to drop the volume very low, or spike it VERY HIGH AND DISTORTED. These unsolicited volume changes happen instantaneously, not gradually. At other times, I often get an electronic-sounding beep or screech in the audio, but the volume does not change. These audio glitches happen most often when I'm using the Hulu app, but can also happen using Youtube, Youtube TV, Sling, and other apps. I'm not using any of the Volume Modes like NIght or Leveling, those modes are Off.

If I rewind or advance the streaming video, the sound "resets" to a correct level, but it's still very annoying and startling. I'm sometimes worried that my TV or home theater speakers could get blown out by the extreme volume and distortion.

Video quality or playback is not affected during these incidents, which to me suggests that it's not a problem with the HDMI cable or connection. Please fix this!

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

Hi Community users,

We really do appreciate you keeping us posted by providing additional insight about this issue.

We have passed along this case to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. We'll make sure to post an update here once we have it available.

Thanks for your understanding!

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ribbonrail

I have been experiencing the same issues noted. Apparently Roku has created a major problem with their latest updates. You would think that a big company with a well-liked product and many long time customers would be on top of this. Potentially, they are going to lose many customers who enjoy these devices. My patience is wearing thin, as are others, with a non-fix solution to this volume problem.

Roku, if your in house engineers can't fix a problem they created with this latest update, then maybe you should bring someone from outside the company to fix it. Don't be like other companies that changed products and lost customers because of it. Heck, just enable us to revert back to previous software updates that didn't have this problem!

A Frustrated Long Time User

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Ribbonrail

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for flagging this to us, and we'd like to gather more information regarding this. May we know what specific Roku device you are having issues with? Did this issue happen the moment after updating your Roku OS version? Also, does the issue occur when streaming a specific channel or throughout the Roku platform? Furthermore, if possible, are you able to provide us with a video with audible audio for us to investigate further?

We would appreciate any of your responses.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mitewot
Reel Rookie

Same issue with my Ultra- getting ridiculous to try and watch television with the volume fluctuations. Please fix!

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mitewot,

Thanks for getting in touch and for sharing your experience regarding this issue. 

Could you tell us if this behavior happens every time you stream content? And is this during Live TV or an on-demand show? Does a simple restart help fix this, or does it come back even after the restart? Are all the channels affected or an isolated case to a specific one?

Tell us more about this experience so that we further assist you.

Regards,

Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mrosen26

I am having the same issue that the OP described. Has there since been a solution?

Foeclan
Reel Rookie

This happens on every Roku device I own, and has been happening since at least late 2022.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mrosen26 @Foeclan

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community regarding the issue you've encountered.

We want to confirm things related to the issue you've encountered. May we know what specific Roku device you are having issues with? Additionally, does the issue happen on a specific channel or throughout the Roku platform? Furthermore, have you tried a system restart to see if you notice any improvements?

Please keep us posted, and we'll assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos